Will airport express work as a repeater for linksys routers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by debo, Jun 9, 2004.

1. debo macrumors regular

I know that the apple page said that It would only work with Airport base stations, but I read that it might work with other wireless routers, but Apple could not gaurantee it. Any ideas?
    Also, do you need to connect it to the internet at all if you only want to use it for airtunes?

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't think we will know until the units ships and people will get to test it out. I hope that I can add it to my current Netgear router. If not I may have to look into an Airport Extreme. They are rather pricey though.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It should, but Apple will only guarantee that it will work with Apple branded base stations.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't think it will. The Tunes part will work on a linksys network but i doubt the repeating.

from what i've seen most companies produce repeaters that only work with their own routers so only a linksys repeater range extender will work with that .... i think theres an asterick about it on the page.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's a standard for bridging or repeating wireless signals, and Airport Express and all the other most likely follow it. However, they only say it will work with their own stuff because 1) more $$ and 2) to cover their butts in case it doesn't.