Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edward-k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
I currently have a linysys wireless router. I would like to add an airport express in our living room for two reason, 1) to extend the range of the wireless in other areas of the home 2) hook it up to the family stereo. I asked someone in the local apple store and the only thing they would say is that it works with the airport base station, could not comment on what else it could work with. Thanks in advance for any help. Happy Holidays to all.
Ed

Axeon

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
The Apple Airport Express will only act as EITHER a WAP OR a media broadcaster without the Apple Airport Base Station.

I have a PowerBook G4, an Airport Express, and a Linksys Wireless Router. I currently have the Airport Express plugged into the router via an ethernet cable so that it can act as a functioning WAP as well as being able to broadcast from iTunes. However, if I unplug the Airport Express from the ethernet and put it in, say, the living room, so as to broadcast iTunes, I will have to choose between either my internet connectivity (the Linksys Router) or broadcasting over the Airport Express for playing music. The Airport Express, so far as I've seen, cannot act as a signal booster in conjunction with the Linksys Router (whilst unplugged from the Linksys Router via an ethernet cable), but it can act as a WAP by itself, and seems to have fairly decent reception.

In order for the Airport Express to retain the dual-functionality that you want, you'll need an Airport Base Station. Oh, how clever Apple is.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
yes it should work. ther are numerous hacks for linksys routers to allow for WAS. with WAS enabled you can extend the wirless network as well as use all the normal functions of the express. go to linksysinfo.org to find the hacked firmware for your specific router.

edward-k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Thanks Axeon- I would switch to the Airport base station in a second if it had more than one wired lan port. between a few pc's w/o wireless and xbox I need at least 4 wired ports. Thanks again for your help. Ed

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
edward-k said:
Thanks Axeon- I would switch to the Airport base station in a second if it had more than one wired lan port. between a few pc's w/o wireless and xbox I need at least 4 wired ports. Thanks again for your help. Ed
Definitely, I can't believe apple still charges $200 for a 802.11g station with only one wired lan port and nothing else to really speak of.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yeah there are hacks to make it work. I would use those. I have a linksys cable modem, router, and signal booster... No way I would pay an Apple premium for a product inferior to that of competitors. I just got a new printer and I LOVE how it plus right into my linksys router. I couldn't survive with an AE base station. I have an old iMac, an XBOX, a printer, and networked storage all plugged into the router. What a pain in the butt to try and do that with the AE base statoin.
-Kevin

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
edward-k said:
I currently have a linysys wireless router. I would like to add an airport express in our living room for two reason, 1) to extend the range of the wireless in other areas of the home 2) hook it up to the family stereo. I asked someone in the local apple store and the only thing they would say is that it works with the airport base station, could not comment on what else it could work with. Thanks in advance for any help. Happy Holidays to all.
Ed

The answer is yes. Just follow the link:

http://ryanschwartz.net/2004/08/05/airtunes-airport-express-and-the-wrt54g

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
spaceballl said:
I just got a new printer and I LOVE how it plus right into my linksys router.
-Kevin
Which Linksys router do you have? I'd be interested in a router with print serving capabilities (other than the Airport).

Thanks.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ftaok said:
Which Linksys router do you have? I'd be interested in a router with print serving capabilities (other than the Airport).

Thanks.

My guess is his/her printer has ethernet connectivity.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
I'm thinking about an airport express, but can you 'rebroadcast' to it from an iTunes share? I have all my music on my Windows PC, and listen to it with my PowerBook downstairs - would I be able to stream music to an Airport express like this?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
andysmith said:
I'm thinking about an airport express, but can you 'rebroadcast' to it from an iTunes share? I have all my music on my Windows PC, and listen to it with my PowerBook downstairs - would I be able to stream music to an Airport express like this?

Yes. Airtunes is just another way of saying remote speakers for iTunes. Whatever you can hear on your computer with iTunes, you will be able to hear on speakers connected to the Airport Express.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
andysmith said:
Yes. iTunes' internet radio stations will work over the AirPort Express, as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.