Will Amazon.com give Education discount?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

The education discount from either Apple.com or through their brick & mortar stores isn't enough to overcome the 8.25% sales tax that I would have to pay, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Currently, Amazon.com is offering a $200 certificate towards your next purchase on any computer purchase over $2000. This would really help in getting the OS X version of the software that I use on my PC (Quicken, etc).

Can I also get Apple's educational pricing from Amazon.com (wife is a teacher)?

2. possible switch macrumors member

I'm about 99.9% sure that you can't. I'm waiting for my iMac delivery today. The stupid student post office where Fed-Ex delivers closed at 1:00, so I was ALMOST out of luck. I found a faculty friend, and they sent out an all-call to the campus offices telling them to send the Fed-Ex man with my package her way! hehe I'll beat the system yet! I've waited too long!

3. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. Amazon.com finally responded to my e-mail.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Many JC, colleges and universities have bookstores and rarely check I.D.s to see if you’re a student. Their assumption is that if you’re in the bookstore, you’re a student or teacher. I have experienced the following: I have had to show my I.D. to buy a computer, but not software, books, or other student stuff. Check out the closest college bookstore to see if you can find what your looking for. Often, old software titles are on sale, with the upgrades to the new version being less than the new product.

Try Outpost.com, Zones.com, and CDW?. com. I think that they offer educational pricing on software and hardware, with occasional provisional free shipping.

8.25% sales tax, are you in California?

Again, all of this is to simplify the process of purchasing, as you don't qualify, but your wife does, and it would be a pain in the ass for her to have to do all the leg work. Anything else would not be on the up-and-up. ;)