Will an Airport Base Station aloow me to run my Xbox (basically a PC) through it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jugglerdude87, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jugglerdude87 macrumors newbie

Heya,

I have an Xbox, and am looking to hook it up to my broadband service, but I need to know what router to use. The main computer in my house is a mac, and I'm looking at buying a powerbook for myself, so I may want to buy an Airport home networking system anyway, but I need to know if i can run my Xbox either from the base station through an ethernet cable (the Xbox has an ethernet input in the back, which is how it connects to broadband), or through a laptop with an ethernet output. I have a feeling this latter option won't work, as I've heard accounts of Xboxs not running properly when run through laptops, but from the base station through an ethernet cable, it should be able to. Does anyone have any experience in this field?

MightyMax

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can either get 1 Airport Extreme Basestation, which has a LAN port on it or 2 Airport Express, using one as the base and the other as a bridge. Depending on the size of the room/space between your modem and the xbox, either option can work. Obviously, if you hate cables or the xbox and modem are far apart, the 2 Airport Express option will work better.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

try the XBox wireless adapter

I bought the wireless adapter for the XBox and it works great. Just make sure your hub is 802.11g, because any other can't handle that amount of information. I had a d-link with was 802.11b and my XBox live was very jumpy and slow. I knew it wasn't my internet connection because when I connected the XBox directly to the hub with an ethernet cable, it ran flawlessly. So I went and got the next one up, and now all is great. I've never even had a problem with computers ( my dad's G5 and mine) running at the same time on the internet while playing live. Good luck!

P.S.- shop around for the wireless adapter, I bought it from amazon for $60 ( not that price anymore unfortunately), compared to most places where it's $100 or so. Just shop around and you'll find a good price.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That seems odd since your internet is slower than 802.11b anyhow by 3 fold (most likely). It may have been a signal strength problem with the 802.11b adapter.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

maybe because all our computers are wireless

both our computers and the XBox are setup to use 802.11g wireless internet, so I think the old 802.11b hub didn't have the "room" per channel for each system to to use it's full potential. At least, this is my opinion. All I know is that it works perfect now.