Will an iPod mini work with my computer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ozi, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

Hi all... this is my first post.

Now, I live in Australia, so technically this question is purely hypothetical, as the huge US demand for iPod minis has meant none will get to Australia any time soon.

However, my dad will soon be going to US of A for work, and should be able to buy me one over there. (the blue... its SOOOO pretty... *drools*)

Anyway, my computer is a Macintosh G3 Powerbook, "Lombard" otherwise known as "bronze keyboard" powerbook G3. I know that iPod minis come with USB 2.0, but im not sure if that will work with my comp. I do know that my computer doesn't have firewire, so thats out of the question.

If anyone would be able to tell me if its worth buying an ipod mini, it would be a huge help.

Thanks!

~ozi

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i believe that on the mini's, usb is windows only...
    and you definitely do not have usb 2.0 anyway, so it would be impossible...
    sorry :(

you can still get a mini to look at...
    or have your dad buy you an alubook...

reality

3. Ozi thread starter macrumors regular

Ozi

LOL yeah... just sit it in my room, and bow in homage to it, never being able to actually listen to any music! *whimpers* Drat my old dodgy computer!

Ah well it runs the latest OS X fine, but I really wanted a mini. My dad has a G4 powerbook Ti, so I sould send all my music via our Airport system... but it would be long and tedious. :(

Anyway, thanks for such a prompt reply to my post! :D

~ozi

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Dont the old powerbooks have a PCMCIA slot? couldnt you get a firewire card for that?

(i dont know the old powerbooks that well so i do not know for sure)

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

the requirements posted on apple.com for Mini:

so i'm afraid you are out of luck... :(

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Doesn't your lombard have a PC card slot? Could you get a firewire PC card and put it in there? I know some models do, maybe you can just do that.

7. Ozi thread starter macrumors regular

Ozi

god damn you guys reply fast!!! wow... lots of touch typing 130 word/minute people on this forum! LOL

yeah it does have a pcmcia slot... so i will investigate that as an option. And it is pooey that USB 2.0 is only for windoze... *snarls*

those machines make me sick.... grrrr

~ozi

EDIT: MwaHA, haha, hardy ha ha. http://www.welovemacs.com/ksi7004.html oh yes, do the happy dance. me and my possible ipod mini just got a whole lot closer to being a reality.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

only reason i'd worry is that apple.com specifies built-in firewire port as an requirement. i'd definitely investigate this before dropping considerable money on the FW card.

9. Ozi thread starter macrumors regular

Ozi

ok thanks I will. I really appreciate all the help you guys have been... I post on another forum (www.officersclub.net/forum) and there are not nearly so many users, so it takes ages to get answers to any questions. Here it is so quick and easy.

Thanks guys.

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I was able to connect my ipod to my wallstreet pb wit a pc card. when i got my G1 ipod this wouldn't work, but it did with my G3 ipod.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

potentially good news for the orig. poster! excellent... now only if his dad could get hold of a Mini...

good luck.