Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
do you guys think that the animated wallpapers will be exclusive for the new iPhones? I never thought about it until I read some articles saying that it's "another difference between the new iPhone and the previous one".

But I think it would be kind of dumb, since the 6's hardware is for sure capable enough to handle what 2011 android devices handled. Some say it's to showcase the rumored OLED display but using a white background with a koi fish doesn't really showcase the OLED display. ( I know there will be other black ones). So what do you think ?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If the screen is OLED, then I can see it being an exclusive feature. Even if an OLED display does not showcase the white background, there has to be some white animated wallpapers to go with the white-faced iPhones.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
If the screen is OLED, then I can see it being an exclusive feature. Even if an OLED display does not showcase the white background, there has to be some white animated wallpapers to go with the white-faced iPhones.
But why would they leave the 6 with the childish bubbles when the hardware is capable to support the new ones? And shouldn't they add them to the 6 so that people could compare both screens and see the difference ?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the bubble dynamic wallpapers and include the animated wallpapers but in pictures only. Of course the hardware supports them with ease, but Jony Ive has been quoted saying that OLED is the only technology that gives the Apple Watch animated wallpapers a certain "magic", and we all know that he always gets his way.

Reactions: Chad-VI

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the bubble dynamic wallpapers and include the animated wallpapers but in pictures only. Of course the hardware supports them with ease, but Jony Ive has been quoted saying that OLED is the only technology that gives the Apple Watch animated wallpapers a certain "magic", and we all know that he always gets his way.
You're right. But do you think the iPhone will really be getting OLED display this year?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
You're right. But do you think the iPhone will really be getting OLED display this year?
I believe there's a 50/50 probability. If not this year, probably the next, but with the animated wallpapers and OLED "magic", there's certainly a good chance.

I would say it's best not to expect the animated wallpapers for the iPhone 6 and then be pleasantly surprised if they decide to include them.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I believe there's a 50/50 probability. If not this year, probably the next, but with the animated wallpapers and OLED "magic", there's certainly a good chance.

I would say it's best not to expect the animated wallpapers for the iPhone 6 and then be pleasantly surprised if they decide to include them.
Haha! That's what I'm gonna do! I'm so bored with those static wallpapers, and making my own ones takes so much time, that's why I was hoping they would include fresh new live wallpapers or even allow 3rd parties to create live ones.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Haha! That's what I'm gonna do! I'm so bored with those static wallpapers, and making my own ones takes so much time, that's why I was hoping they would include fresh new live wallpapers or even allow 3rd parties to create live ones.
I see! I always just stick to the default wallpaper for each iOS version, but depending on how good these animated wallpapers turn out to be, they might just change my mind!

Reactions: Chad-VI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.