Will ANY app that works on the G5 work on Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SheerGold, Aug 17, 2006.

1. SheerGold macrumors member

Apr 20, 2006
    I'm wondering whether it's practical to get a mac pro at this moment in time.

Will EVERY application, including all the less popular applications and shareware, that work on my G5 also work on the Mac Pro?

If the answer is yes, then what are the drawbacks of moving to a Mac Pro now? I hear that many of the major applications either will not workon the Mac Pro or are much slower.

Does anyone know all the answers?

Is there a simple explanation or rule of thumb that can be used to decide these issues?
  2. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    All non universal apps will run under Rossetta.

You will find that pro apps from Adobe and Macromedia will probably suffer a speed hit from being run under Rossetta.
  3. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

Apr 2, 2006
    Telford, UK
    There's no guarantee that all apps will work. For example, Virtual PC definitely doesn't run, nor did the Apple Pro apps before the universal binary releases. NeoOffice, Flip4Mac, Iomega Rev tools were other ones(universal binaries available for all of these though now) - I'm sure there are other ones out there too
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    As you may have gathered, there's really no good rule of thumb for apps that do and do not run on Intel machines. It may be easier if you just list the apps you want to use and then we can check them off one-by-one. :)
  5. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    I know matlab also does not run under Rosetta. It's best just to check the software site for whatever programs you are using to see if there is a UB or if it works under Rosetta.
  6. lizard79 macrumors member

Jun 7, 2005
    It seems like no statistic/mathematic software is running under rosetta. rosetta seems to have a problem with correct number crunching :(..
  7. solaris macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    No! Most PowerPC applications will run under Rosetta, but some will not.