Will "any" PC2700 DDR333 do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by theovandoesburg, Dec 8, 2003.

1. theovandoesburg macrumors newbie

I found a 1gb PC2700 DDR333 for only $150 (the company was Corsair), is there something to be feared? Are there differences in quality between different brands of PC2700 DDR333? If so, which is the best? Apple is just too expensive.

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

corsair is very good company to buy ram from i trust them

3. jevel macrumors regular

To me that price sounds like a DIMM, not a SO-DIMM like you need. Be sure to check that out!

-KJ

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

How do you know he needs a SO-DIMM? He didn't say what machine it was for.

Anyway, corsair is 'good stuff'. Some companies will guarantee that memory you chose for you machine will work (e.g Crucial does if you use their memory selector). That way you'll be covered.

5. jevel macrumors regular

Good point! :eek: Sorry about that. Just been in a PB mode lately as I'm purchasing one... Sorta one track mind... :)

So to clarify: If it is for a portable, you need a SO-DIMM, for desktops it's DIMMs.

-KJ

6. jkeithh macrumors regular

Re: Will "any" PC2700 DDR333 do?

I had a lot of trouble in my 15" Al Powerbook when I first bought it. I purchased a relatively inexpensive PC2700 SO-DIMM chip from Best Buy and it caused a lot of problems ( the weird white box in the middle of the screen with a message saying I had to restart my computer in several different languages). When I switched to Crucial memory the problems went away. Just stay away from cheap memory and you should be ok.

7. theovandoesburg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I apologize for not specifying the machine in which I was going to be using the memory. I had PBs in mind. Thanks for the point on DIMMs and SO-DIMMs. Thanks again.

8. StudioGuy macrumors regular

StudioGuy

The most important thing is to have a company that does lifetime exchanges for bad RAM with no shipping costs.

Today, your RAM may work fine with 10.3, but fail with 10.whatever. Many folks had problems going from 10.2 to 10.3.

I once got a bad chip, and you will know from things like programs quitting unexectedly a lot, or hardware diagnostics failing; and, it was quickly replaced with a free replacement and a UPS paid return box for the defective unit. Companies like www.datamem.com do this, but I am sure there are others.

Just expect this level of service, but it is needed at times.

9. Jbear macrumors member

I bought 2 512 corsair dimms last week for my G5, and they worked fine until yesterday. Every 20 seconds or so while typing there would be a huge lag, then after rebooting, I got the apple firmware screen once, then after restarting again I got no video at all. Pulling the 2 dimms out seems to have fixed the problem. Hopefully they are just bad and I can replace them under warranty. Just thought I'd share my recent experience.

10. justswitched macrumors newbie

Re: Will "any" PC2700 DDR333 do?

Damn! where did you find that kind of pricing...got any links?:D