Will anyone be able to upgrade my 17" iMac...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by davrouk, Sep 9, 2003.

1. davrouk Guest

without voiding the warranty?

I have seen the walkthrough on xlr8yourmac.com about opening it up to upgrade the HD and internal RAM slot, but I bought the 3 year AppleCare package (UK) and dont want to void the warranty.

it would be so much cheaper for me to add a new HD (swap the 80gb for a 160gb drive) than to buy a FW hd - plus i could then stick the 80gb drive in my linux box.
  2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    If you just want to add more Ram and a bigger HD, it normally does not void the warranty. You could always phone Apple and see, just to make sure.

It should be quiet easy to do, the only thing you need to make sure is when you take it apart, you dont lose any of the screws or other small bits.

If you dont want to do it yourself you could also find a shop that sells Apples (maybe PCworld) and get them to do it. They normally charge about £50 + parts.
  3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    An Apple reseller or something might be able to do it without invalidating the warranty. But they will charge money so it mightn't be much cheaper to get the internal job done. You or anyone else doing it will definitely invalidate your warranty.

It's your choice

1) Pay a reseller to do it. Someone mucks around with the innards of your imac. Charges you for the priviledge
    2) To hell with the warranty - Do it yourself. Big bill if anything ever goes wrong.
    3) Pay £180 for a 160GB Firewire drive. Pay £100 over the cost of a 'naked' drive
  4. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    What I'd like know is if anyone can take my 17" iMac that's at 800mHz and upgrade it to the 1.25mHz, without burning a hole in my wallet? I wouldn't want to void warrenty but if I can find someone who knows there stuff, why not have someone other than Apple Authorized do it. I'm sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it. Any insight?