Will anyone miss Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coday182, Jul 27, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Well I am goin to purchase a MBP sometime soon. But, aside from the stabilitly and other things macs are famous for, all the sweet features and programs in the Tiger OS are what really sold me. Now I don't know my stuff that good yet but I liked garage band, hot corners, and most of all the widgets. Will all this stuff be on leapord? I really want to wait for it to come out before I buy a new mac but at the same time I like the stuff on Tiger. Or do you think that leapord will be so amazing that everyone will forget about all that other stuff?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no the current feature set won't disappear. apple have a tendency to build upon them. Expose for example was built up with Dashboard in the Panther to Tiger upgrade. and hot corners have been there since Panther too or Jaguar even

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Leopard will build upon Tiger as PlaceofDis has stated. :)

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

Leopard will be an amazing OS and no--none of the features in Tiger will be missing. Afterall Apple has to look good against Winblows Vista.

Now is Tiger time and is a great time to buy!

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Hot Corners have been around since the OS 9 days if I'm correct..But I agree with your point, apple never drops any features that were in a previous OS, they build upon it.

6. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

awesome. So if I buy a mac and they come out with a new OS say half a year later can I upgrade or will the release of leopard also mean that the new macs will have to have beefier hardware to handle it?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Tiger will even run on G3 processors. so any new mac you get will be able to handle it just fine. the only feature that the older macs couldn't run was some Core Image effects because of the GPU. so you don't have to worry... you'll be able to upgrade no problem. although it'll probably set you back $129.00

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't worry about Apple ensuring compatanility for today's hardware, as PlaceofDis has stated- you can still run Mac OS X 10.4 on a PowerPC G3 based Mac (as long as it has firewire). :)

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

LOL... haven't heard that one before. nice one!

10. Manuel Moreno macrumors member

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

There are plenty of creative names for making fun of the horror that is known as Windows sam10685. :D :)

12. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

ok guys thanks for the valuable info. Now the only reason I would wait is I have hears some speculation that they might soon release a newer version of the MBP. Or maybe they will atleast lower the prices some.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm sure anyone who's stuck on Panther will miss Tiger. ;)

I wonder if the features in Leopard will be so compelling that we'll all be driven to buy it and install it before 10.5.2 is out. I'm not exactly thrilled with the reliability of the operating system until the later fix releases.

Apple puts on a good show but what will the reality of it all be?

14. Dracula macrumors member

Thanks to Tiger's o so amazing finder, I can't wait to get rid of it!

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple has re-done it a few times and it's still not easy, powerful, or fast. Next!

16. Dracula macrumors member

yea seriously, they need to look at the best parts of windows, gnome and kde and just mesh them together and make the ultimate file management tool

17. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Tiger was what pretty much sold me to buy my first Mac as well. But as has been mentioned already, no features will leave us in Leopard so it can only get better I suppose. I hope leopard has some just crazy features that blow me away like Tiger did. I remember the first time seeing Tiger in action on my friends computer and I knew right then I wanted a Mac for my next computer. I hope 10.5 can do the same for others.

18. Dracula macrumors member

Tiger was enough to get me get a Mac, but I sold it after a few months since I couldn't stand the small quirks and finder in general.

I'm still highly Mac curious however, and am looking forward to seee what OS X 10.5 brings.

If they [Apple] make a Mac Mini that uses 3.5 inch hard drives then I'm sold.

19. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I won't be an early adaptor of leopard. :p I'll probably be alone on tiger, but I think i'd rather wait and see the kinks worked out first. :p

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I will.

I'm going to get it as soon as I can afford it, well, it and 1GB of RAM in a nice little package.

Should make this little m'baby run just swimmingly till replacement time.

21. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Not entirely. This feature will be gone when Leopard finally bows and this OS app seems to be on it's last legs. Once a shinning OS X superstar, I would be amazed if it made the cut for Leopard.

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Miss Tiger ?? :eek:

I just wish Apple would announce at the WWDC that Leopard is being released in August.

23. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yes, the Tiger will, but latest iLife apps have been demanding G4 for some time. My father has a G3/700 iBook and I've noticed it's better to leave it at Panther with older '04 iLife apps installed. It runs much better that way.

So, in a way, Tiger requires G4 or better; although in theory iLife is not a part of the operating system, it is very closely the basic app package that everyone wishes to be installed.

Actually, the early Tiger releases (10.4.0 and 10.4.3) have been a lot better than some of the latest versions. I agree that with Jaguar and Panther the early versions were somewhat lacking, but you cannot assume Leopard's first version sucks. I have a gut feeling Apple is proving you wrong this time ;)

Stability-wise, the best OSX versions Apple has ever released are 10.3.4 and 10.4.3, so it's not like the latest release is always the best. Perhaps feature-wise, but that's not all. In my mind Tiger has been disappointing and I'm very excited about Leopard. I hope it will be Panther-like in quality and stability.

24. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

iLife isn't part of the OS unless you buy it with a new computer, so it doesn't apply.

I've been using a G3/400 iMac DV, with 320mb RAM, and to be completely honest, it's not a really noticible difference when switching from the dual core G5 sitting across the room from it. Yeah it's slower but its still fine when using Tiger, Safari, Office, and so on. I even use the iMac for Fireworks, and Dreamweaver (both Studio 8 versions), with no trouble.

And the whole thing cost me about £75. One of the best computer purchases I've ever made... (the G5 isn't mine, it's owned by the student tv station i run)...

25. Tinhead macrumors member

I find Tiger to be a mess. It's just too inconsistent in it's UI, and the new features seem to be halfway there at best. Panther was an awesome release all-round, so I, too, hope for that level of quality to return.

Frankly, I believe competition from Vista and Ubuntu/SUSE might just be the best thing that has happened to OSX in a while. I dearly hope Apple will get the basics right this time around, and "steal" the best of what those operating systems have to offer. It's not even really stealing, since they only need to look at OS9 for inspiration.. ;)

All that being said, Tiger was a major overhaul technically, as far as I've understood anyway, so developers might have enjoyed it more than I have.