will anything be able to compare to the ds lite for web browsing

Discussion in 'Games' started by kksolano, Aug 1, 2006.

1. kksolano macrumors member

kksolano

I’m pretty interested in the DS lite now that the Opera Web Browser is coming out soon. I’d love to take around something like the DS lite, get myself into a wifi hotspot and just check out the web. I don’t want to take around a laptop, I don’t want to web browse on my mobile phone or pda. Is there anything else that could compete with the DS lite in this feature?
    What about the screen? Duel screen web browsing would be cool.
    I now know what people mean when they say "its like an apple product"

A so called kid’s toy is sounding interesting!! What do you guys think?

2. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Opera is not as full featured as you may want, but it is fine for checking your email or something along those lines. The DS Lite is an excellent purchase from any standpoint though because it is an incredibly ingenuitive little piece of hardware that can provide hours of fun.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm more a fan of Pocket PC internet. Especially the VGA resolution ones which makes for very comfortable web browsing. The DS Lite is the nearest to that, though I wouldn't buy a DS just for it when a Pocket PC costs just a bit more (or equal to a PSP) with far, far greater functionality than either device.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't see the point of paying extra for web browser.

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

could someone explain to me all the features that the DS's Opera Browser has?

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I doubt it'll be good browsing on the DS after those reviews etc...If you want that specific function and not for gaming, i wouldn't recomend going into DS as it's really a pain and it'll be "slow" to browse the web, and some web pages will not show correctly.

7. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I've been watching the DS browser quite a bit and I think the initial reviews are a little skewed. I think it was overhyped and some of the reviewers felt let down. From what I have read, people are getting around 8-45 second loading times depending on their connection and the site with some sites like CNN clocking in at 3 minutes. Basically, the DS doesn't have a fast enough processor to be loading large amounts of pictures very quickly. So if you want to surf quickly on the DS, turn off pictures or go to mobile versions of websites. Macrumors has a mobile site and so does google, gmail, yahoo and many many more. Mobile sites will load extremely quickly on the DS which makes it better than a cell phone browser.

If you are comparing it to the PSP browser it has a much better interface (doesn't take as long to enter text) but lower loadtimes on content rich sites and no flash. It basically uses all web standards but can't display flash, sound, or pdfs.

If you are looking for a basic web browser for checking email, news, looking at blogs and forums etc it is a pretty nice addition to the DS. Best of all, the mobile versions of ebuddy.com allow one to chat via AIM, Yahoo, and MSN from the browser. There is a Japanese version available now or UK version in October. No American version announced yet though :(

MSN - http://mob.ebuddy.com
    Yahoo! - http://moby.ebuddy.com
    AOL- http://moba.ebuddy.com

8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

9. MacAnkka macrumors regular

There's of course the Nokia 770. Don't worry, it's not a phone ;)

It's a small internet tablet thingie. 800x480 touch screen. Runs on a linux-based open source OS, has Opera 8 with Flash support. Mail, IM, voip... There's Wifi, too, of course... Bunch of other features too. It might be a little bit too much for your needs, but I thought it's of no harm to bring it up. I don't own one, so I can't really recommend it myself, but I've heard it's a pretty nice piece of technology.

http://www.nokia.com/770

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I do when the alternative is a £200 PSP, £180-300 Pocket PC or a £200 mobile phone.
    to go online with a DS Lite it only costs £120 (or will when the browser is out in the UK).

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree, this is a mobile browser. Pocket PC's and cell phones don't really compare because they cost hundreds of dollars more in most cases and cell phone browsing for the most part is worse unless you have a very expensive phone with wifi and even then the interfaces are just as bad as the PSP. The only browser that the DS can really be equally compared to is the PSP browser and any advantage the PSP has in load times is superceded by the slow interface. This is a mobile browser. By no means will it replace you laptop and if you were wanting to watch movies on YouTube, play flash games, or go to very content rich sites you will be very dissapointed. It is a handy tool for reading blogs, forums, email, or gamefaqs when you are at a Wifi hotspot at a university, hotel, restaurant, coffee shop or other free hotspot.