Will apple continue making computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cool11, Jan 10, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

This is a general comment based on my thought about apple and computers, so I think this is the right place to post.

Many times in the past I discussed with friends of mine, that I want to go for mac platform. Everyone seemed to find mac computers as great machines but their question is this one: will apple continue to make computers in the future?
    After all it is a company and it is all about profit.
    If they predict more profits in products other that computers, then why not stop make computers?

I am not feared about os x, this one seems to have a good future even on portable devices.

I tried to convince myself that the possibility about apple stop making computers is just impossible.

But maybe I am wrong.
    This is a forum full of mac friends, so it is difficult to be objective.

I read this one today:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2380

Even the name, changes. Others talk about an i-pod company and that's all.

Predictions based on arguments?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes Apple will continue making the Macintosh. No doubt. Case Closed.
    Apple does not have legions of loyal users based on the iPod. They are based on the Macintosh and the Mac OS.

3. piltupso macrumors regular

Man I hope so.

I just switched and its been great I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for a home computer wing of Apple. Though I must agree as a company they will go where the money is so as long as people keep buying machines they will probably keep making them.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i can't ever see a time when apple would stop making macs.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of stupid and suicidal to stop, especially considering that the growth market for Apple's PC business -- and the upside for market share increase is insane.

All at a profit margin for their position in the market, that anyone would kill for.

Companies have taken on billions and billions in debt to get into the position Apple is in, and most have imploded before this.

Basically most companies would give their souls to go from a pathetic world market share to one well on their way to massive growth, and they have. Think back to the "free PC" and "cheap PC" wars, to see what a company will do for marketshare and how many die trying to capture a foothold.

And Apple is doing it without caving into the usual discount the hell out of them tactic.

They are doing it with premium/high priced PCs, and still gaining. Which is amazing.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Apple will not stop making computers as long as we keep buying them. If there's no profit, there will be no more Macs.

Open those wallets! :p :D

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Apple will continue making computers. Why wouldn't they?

They are also expanding their horizons with iPods, iPhones, Apple TV, etc.

Microsoft sells peripherals such as keyboards and mice. Does this mean that they will not longer develop operating systems and productivity software? Doubt it.

As long as a company continues to profit from items they produce they will continue to sell them. Apple is very strong in the computer arena -- stronger than there were before. Don't worry, the future is bright for Macs! :)

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

As long as computers remain an integral part of our lives, and as long as there is no other company that can make better computers than Apple, Apple will continue to make computers.

Look at the iPhone. The only reason Apple went into the phone market is because 1. Phones are an integral part of a lot of people's lives. and 2. Apple feels they can do better, much better, at making phones than the companies that are currently in the market.

This is because Apple is a product company. If there are a significant amount of people that are going to use a product, and they feel they can do better than what is out there, they will go ahead with it.

So sit back, and relax. If the day comes that Apple stops making computers, you will have long stopped caring about them anyway.

irmongoose

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Yes. About half of Apple's total income comes from the sale of Macs;)

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course, that doesn't mean they won't do it -- look what AT&T did when the split their hardware business off into Lucent.

Just began a cycle of spinoffs that basically turned AT&T and Lucent into nothing but a couple names where the core businesses people used to associate with the names eventually vanished.

C'mon to buy parts for an AT&T/Lucent phone you now have to hunt down who ended up with that section of the company. :rolleyes:

11. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

they will NOT i repeat NOT stop making computers!

12. Queso macrumors G4

As long as the gadgets they are coming out with require a computer at the heart of everything, Apple will continue to make their own machines. Even with all the consumer electronics stuff running with Windows, Apple will want to show how they have a better way to connect them all together, and as long as their computers keep selling in the millions, there's still a lot of profit in them.

13. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

This is just the current version of the "Apple is dying" myth that has been around for decades. Now that it is obvious that Apple is not beleaguered the Windows zealots have changed their tune to "Apple computers are still irrelevant, Apple only survives on the iPod".

As everyone else has pointed out, Apple is selling more computers than ever even as growth in the PC market flattens. Can you ever see Steve running Windows Mobile Vista Business Ultra Lite on an Origami? Can you see yourself doing it? Relax and enjoy.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

iPhone, AppleTV, iPod.

The computer is still at the heart of everything they do.

15. bozigle macrumors regular

Well i don't have the keynote to check the exact quote but Stevie, while introducing the iPhone, went on quoting someting like "if you re really serious about sofware, you should be making your own hardware".
    I think it is safe to say that as long as he is in charge you gonna get some cute/fancy/best hardware with a little apple around.

Cheers
    bozigle

16. Alamac macrumors newbie

Apple is Microsoft and vice versa. Dont think Bill Gate will ever stop production of Apple computers. Its like the Volkswagen Group owning Lamborghini, audi, seat, skoda, Buggati and etc... You still see all these cars being manufactured and sold.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Oh dear. Not this "Bill Gates secretly owns Apple" thing again....:rolleyes:

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes.

Where in God's name did you get that idea?

19. bbydon macrumors 6502a

yes...they are the digital hub...right
    plus the ipod needs it

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Microsoft hasn't had any influence on Apple since 2000.

21. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The success of the iPod and whatever other non-computer technologies - will actually open up a broader market for mac computers. People familiar with the iPod and eventually the iPhone, will likely cast a glance at mac computers, when they otherwise would not have without the enticements that lured them to Apple in the first place.

Because of this I think Macintosh sales will climb and may possibly be almost "mainstream" eventually. Or maybe not... but the general public now has more reasons to buy macs than ever.

22. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

People still perpetuate this myth? Go to youtube and watch the 1997 MacWorld with Bill Gates. Steve Jobs clearly states that MS bought NON-VOTING shares of Apple stock.

Apple will not abandon the Mac at all. They didn't work on Leopard all this time to say, "Surprise. You're really getting Mac OS VistaX."

:p

23. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I think the answer is fairly obvious. They're selling macs by the shipload! Marketshare is up, profits are great, there's no reason to stop

24. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I thought this thread was a joke at first..

Asking if apple will continue making macs is like asking if microsoft will continue making windows.

Apple will always make computers..

25. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Why do people think Apple will stop making computers, just because computer is no longer in thier name?

Toshiba, HP, Dell... NONE of those companies have computer in thier name, yet they make computers...