Will Apple ever diversify?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac-er, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

Do you think Apple will ever (or would it be wise) for Apple to diversify?

I mean..you have MS dabbling in the portal business for example....

For example, Apple could buy out Yahoo! or merge with Google....now that would create a powerhouse to put an end to MS.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

apple merge with google, don't see that happening for a very long time

3. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Just one of many brainstorming ideas of how Apple could extend its reach....could you imagine the possibilities though if they did?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

google's stock would plummet because they wouldn't make things for windows anymore.

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I wish apple would invent:

-apple printer
    -apple speakers :)
    -Apple Multimedia player (would play DVDs, Xbox games, music,presentations etc.(like this would happen

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

They could make things for windows too....like itunes.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why not? Apple makes iTunes and QuickTime for Windows, to name a couple.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well i just believe there would be no way in hell it would stay over 300 dollars a share if that happened

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple is a strong brand, they are always buying a lot of companies, technology, programs, and patent portfolios.

Apple used to do quite a bit of this in-house, of course they also wasted a lot of those R&D dollars in past years -- buying sprees allow Apple to buy technology and software they expect to use, even if they do overpay for some of it like some say they did for NeXT.

If you use it, it's not as wasteful as their old fashioned Pepsi era R&D program.

They have done quite well bringing these products in-house, and making them their own.

After the switch to Intel is over, we may see another rush of these products coming out.

10. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Real quick how would it play XBox games???

Anyway, I think diversifying is some Apple would like to do, and I believe is something they are looking into doing. Many smart businesses do this as a way to protect themselves incase their cash cow jumps ship.

Bottom line: I think Apple is doing things to diversify.

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

As huge as those newly created alliances would be, I am not convinced as to whether they would be enough to topple the juggernaut in Redmond, let alone put an end to it. The high-tech field is extremely competitive and the odds of inflicting a fatal blow are very slim.

Microsoft is massive, ruthless and has a CEO in Steve Ballmer who is downright scary at times, and willing to implement any necessary strategy to prevent serious inroads from being made into his empire and span of control. The bigger the ego, the more drastic the action that will be taken to maintain the status quo.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Apple did make printers.
    Apple did make speakers.
    Apple does make a DVD player, a music player, a presentation maker.

Like, all of that already happened. Except the Xbox part. But the rest... already been done.

13. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

Exactly, hate to say it but essentially there is a chance that only the actual government would be able to step in and slap down microsoft in the short term...and uhhh...we see how that went...,in the long run..it will still take a hell of a lot. Merging with Google could be interesting but if they do...what exactly does that leave you with? Two very innovative companies...a company that at heart is a hardware company...and then a company that is beginning to resemble a portal. Plus who's going to run that comany? Sure Steve won't be there forever, but his successor? could happen. Miscrosoft is not only massive...but they are deeply entrenched and like it or not Microsoft is also smart and filthy rich..they can buy a lot of brain power. I see Apple basically becoming the "Sony of old" by hopefully not making the same mistakes that they have in the past. But who knows if market shares keeps going up...and companies keep showing more and more interest in apple...maybe they can be instrumental in toppling microsoft, but i don't see Apple ever deciding to go Toe to toe with MS, cause hell..after all...MS doesn't even do hardware, and open source really is the future.

14. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Yea, damn good printers too.
    I still use a laserwriter at home.

And the xbox playability, yea right. Micro$oft would NEVER let Apple do that.

15. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

RandomDeadHead, just wanted to let you know that you have one of the more memorable signature lines. Thanks for fully disclosing all pertinent information. :)

16. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Apple is diverse.
    Desktop Computers
    Portable Computers
    Computer Accessories (Mice, mouse pads)
    Clothing
    Portable Music devices.
    Software

17. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hack! sputter!....

What, like branch out from the computer business into... personal audio players of all things? And music distribution??

Never happen...

BTW, grasshopper, where do you suppose America Online came from? It was originally a service (and software) developed for Apple in 1988 called Applelink...

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

???

20. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I totally disagree with those people. What did they pay for NeXT, something like $400 million? From that came OS X (and Cocoa), which I consider the heart and soul of the Macintosh now. And they essentially got Steve Jobs in the deal too. Where would Apple be without those two things right now? The NeXT deal might have seemed crazy at the time, but IMHO it turned out to be quite a bargain.

21. LaoTzu macrumors member

Diversify into what??? They invented the PDA, Digital Camera, invented the PC Market, yeah...they stopped reselling HP Printers with Apple stamped on them (but $$ is only in ink - so?)

Did you catch that iTunes is the largest on-line retailer, second only to Amazon? Amazon sells everything, iTunes is just music ( until tomorrow ;-) It would seem they have already become a huge internet company...
    Apple was crazy to open Apple stores, while Gateway closed 300 of them, and they all earn a profit alone, and sell Apple stuff. Another 35 stores coming, somehow, they are still making money, even though experts said, too fast, and impossible.

I was just noting a few... well, issues, bugs, in Tiger, and concern that it doesn't seem to be a priority ( among many ). I applaud Apple's execution, but you have trade offs. I know we are in a transition, new technologies, a CPU switch, so I see all the endless problems which can creep in...

If you spread yourself too thin, whether a Military, company, or just say, your own time, you risk becoming weak and assailable in every area. ( See Microsoft - OS dropping features, late, still only Office & OS making $$$ )

The way Apple is set up, each little division, iPods, iTunes, Logic, FCP, Hardware, OS, Applications - each needs to ship product, and make that at least show a profit....or reduce employees, or get closed down, etc. In this way, everyone is pulling their own way, and each and every part is secure, and watched/ enforced constantly.
    I guess you'll see some stuff tomorrow... but with Apple making over a Billion this year, 8.3 Billion in cash ( That's over 1 Billion just this Q added to cash!) the interest is like HUGE, I see them easily matching MS's 47 Billion ( oops before stock repurchase & billions paid to companies they screwed! Maybe a lot less! ) Apple may have a LOT more money than MS soon... While upgrading OS, Applications, iPod/iTunes, and now on Pentiums.....

( what I don't see is Apple ever, while steve lives, doing an X Box type thing, losing money on every box, and hoping in 5 years you'll recover "Some" of that, and next time repeat, and hope to break even, so you can maybe get some of other peoples $$$ like Sony - Nintendo -etc.
    There are better ways, like making good software, on less expensive hardware, and making it better - Gameboy is actually a profit on units + Games )

I'd just like to add, Steve made the PC market, and where no one saw one, I guess an iPod market, retail stores again, and the OS wars were won while steve was not at Apple. Currently bloated, anti-trust, lame management, is seriously killing their MS's ability to do anything well... with 10 times the people, and no one to steer the ship.
    I think you'll see Apple doing more of the same, making markets where none were, or making them a real market, and I think iTunes is a great example of how MS does against Apple when they are not bleeding, run by idiots, or so beat down they're on life support...

You'll see them keep doing things really well... but patiently evaluating a market, making sure they can really do it well, and then really just blowing everyone away...but on quality - not theft, or cheating, inventing markets.

This scales so well, now iPods make Apple even a more loved brand, which everyone has good feelings about, it's brilliant....

Maybe I'll review a business vs consumer company later... but Apple has dabbled in supercomputing, which is amazing, they are getting into business too.... watch, a brilliant plan is unfolding...

LT

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Um, HELLLLLLOOOOOOO, XBox 360 games are developed and tested on Powermac G5's. I'm sure if someone built an emulator, they could run the original XBox games on a G5 as well. Since the 360 will be PPC based and not x86. Looks like all those hackers out there will start having to learn PPC instructions and get away from their beloved x86 to hack the next xBox.

I have a pair of Apple Pro speakers at home. Very nice. Small, and they can belt out some volume too!

23. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

My mom always told me that "A jack of all trades is a master of none." There's a very thin line between being a well-rounded company and biting off more than you can chew. I'm sure that Apple will dish out amazing new products, but I definitely don't see them in the video game market.

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Hate to break it to you, but the Xbox 360 was built using Win NT/PPC. Anyone wishing to run Xbox games on a PM G5 has a lot of work cut out for him.

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For some reason that reminded me of eWorld. Miss that... :(

Cool that eworld.com still goes to the Apple site, though.