Will Apple ever get their act together?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macsmack, Mar 22, 2002.

1. macsmack macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2002
    I have been an Apple reseller since 1978 and it never seems to fail that the reseller gets crapped on. Why do we have to pay yearly to be a reseller of Apple products when they're just going to stock their own stores instead of the resellers. They should be paying us. The whole back order issue is outlandish. I have had 15 new iMac's on order since January 8th and have yet to see one of them. The reseller's customers are now being pulled away and buying from the Apple stores because of the backorder issues. This article sums some things up:

Analysts: iMac woes take toll on Apple

By Larry Dignan
    Special to ZDNet News
    March 18, 2002, 9:45 AM PT

Apple Computer's supply problems with its new iMac likely mean that the next few weeks will make or break the company's second quarter, which is expected to be "extremely tight," according to one report.
    In a research report previewing earnings for the leading PC companies, Prudential Securities analyst Kimberly Alexy became the latest analyst to flag potential problems for Apple's quarter ending March 31.

"Although demand for Apple's new iMac product remains strong, we are concerned about the company's ongoing inability to execute new product ramps efficiently," she said.

The new iMac was trotted out with great fanfare in January, but Apple has not been able to ship large numbers of the PCs because of a shortage of flat-panel displays, among other issues. As a result, a fairly lengthy waiting list of consumers and dealers for the new PC has emerged, with some dealers telling customers they may not have iMacs for five to 20 weeks.

The company has also managed to irk its retail partners, which argue that Apple is stocking its own stores at their expense.

Steve Jobs will speak at Macworld Tokyo later this week and, if history is any indication, he will likely address the issue.

Although it's too early to determine how glitches in the iMac's launch will hurt the company's bottom line, analysts are beginning to handicap Apple's quarter. The company is expected to report second-quarter earnings of 11 cents a share on revenue of $1.43 billion.

Alexy said she expects Apple to be upbeat about its June quarter, but the outlook will most likely offset weakness in the March quarter.

Other analysts echo that view.

In a recent research note, Lehman Brothers analyst Dan Niles said he was satisfied that Apple has corrected its supply problems.

According to Niles' checks, Apple was slow to ship its high-end 800MHz iMac in volume due to manufacturing problems, but it has now resolved the issue. "We expect the two 700MHz models will ship slightly behind their end-of-February and end-of-March schedules," he said.

Niles also said he sees a challenging quarter for Apple, but he expects plenty of the new iMacs to be available for the June quarter, which will help the company, "assuming the demand is there."
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Wow, that really sucks for you. I own an Authorized Apple Dealer here in Arkansas. We've recieved about 20 or our ordered new iMacs. And now we are getting them in about everyday now. We are even getting the middle end iMac in too.
  3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
  4. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    Don't suppose you could ship a few of those units over here to Australia, do you?

I reckon I could sell those babies for a mint down here. All the waiting queues are 40+ long now.

But they're expecting a "big" shipment to come in "sometime next week, or if not, early the week after."

YEAH. RIGHT. That's what they've been saying for the last month! :mad: