will apple ever make a pro web app ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thevessels, Feb 6, 2006.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

they did make iweb .
    do you think they'll go one step further ? like they did with iphoto to aperture ?
    i think it'd be amazing
    any thoughts ?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If they do, I don't think it will be for a while. iWeb is brand new, and I think they will work with that for now, give the public time to get used to it, and grow, enhance and improve it before looking at a Pro version. Not saying it will never happen of course, but I don't see it anytime soon.

3. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I think they will eventually. First there was iPhoto and then there was Aperture. I expect the same with iWeb, but not for a while like ~Shard~ said.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You should remember that prior to Aperture, there really wasn't anything like it in the market. Now, there are two apps that should be going head to head for a while (Lightroom vs. Aperture). However, in web design, there are already two popular apps (for now anyway,) on the Mac. Now, this doesn't mean they won't do it, because they did kick Premiere's ass with FCP, so I wouldn't say "no, never".

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

One should keep in mind that every pro app at Apple tended to follow an acquisition of some other company and/or their technology/experience. They haven't brought in anything that would help along the lines of a web design app lately, so it would be a ways off if it is going to happen.

The main point of iWeb at this point is to add value to .mac accounts.

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'd love to see a pro web app but I doubt we'd see it any time soon, if at all.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What did they buy before they released FCP? I know they bought Shake, Logic, and FMP, but what about DVD Studio Pro and Soundtrack?

8. RacerX macrumors 65832

Final Cut Pro was started at Macromedia and then sold to Apple who finished it. Macromedia was trying to take on both Adobe Premiere and After Effects at the same time, but then backed away from the idea.

Soundtrack uses much of the same technology as Logic.

DVD Studio Pro didn't represent a major technology leap for Apple as I recall, and didn't require external sources.

Aperture (even though you didn't ask about it) and CoreImage can be traced back to getting the developer behind Caffeine Software. Part of the speculation about Aperture being a Photoshop competitor was because Caffeine Software's TIFFany3 Professional was a Photoshop alternative.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i would think that it's only likely if they can buy an existing program. This is an area with well established products and I cant see Apple attacking this market with a product built from scratch.

10. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

Maybe I'm just looking at it different, but I couldn't see how that could work. Any proffessional web designer codes by markup, not a by using a WYSIWYG editor, right? Unless perhaps their simply editing content rather than design? I was under the impression that once you reach a certain level of expertise you no longer need such an application.

11. Gerg macrumors regular

But with a good pro-level web app, Apple could make professionals out of the next generation of web developers. Sure, today's web designers may not use it, but the 16-year-old kid who aspires to be the best someday may learn it all through some new method. Apple could stand to be the lead for the next wave.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It would be cool, and even better they could assure that more sites "play nice" with Macs and Safari.

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

No professionals use Dreamweaver?

I mean, I know *I* wouldn't touch it with a 40 foot pole, but I know a lot of people that do.

14. starnox macrumors 6502

Yes when you get to a certain level you do just use programs like TextMate - therefore there is no need for a 'pro' web application.

15. steebu macrumors member

apple could make an amazing pro web app! i could see something that would make flash animations and ajax elements easily then would let you host on your own home server or something.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Has anyone ever tried FREEWAY PRO here?

It's a mac only! and the epitome WYSIWYG web page maker. It's can be incredibly simple, but also you can make some very nice technical sites with it.

If Apple were to release there own web program, what I imagine they would do is buy a company like Softpress and just re-brand the product.... They do this all the time anyway...

17. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Best editor for mac is Text Wrangler. It allows you to do any kind of text to your hearts content. It doesn't put marks in it so it's pure ANSI code. As for a Pro Web Tool? Apple can't compete with GoLive CS2. if they can way to go Apple. But iWeb is for basic stupid people like those in my Web Design class. Who don't give a crap about new technologies emerging for web.

18. RacerX macrumors 65832

Sure... and any one using Unix interacts with their computer by command line.

:rolleyes:

.... and everyone else is using DOS.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

20. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

slooksterPSV, I don't think you know exactly how many members you just offended with your sweeping generalization, but neither do I.

I don't think that a professional web app is in order, but one must wonder about who is actually using GoLive and Dreamweaver daily. If they did a web app, it would probably be something that managed websites more than created and laid them out. Although it's been "years" since I really used Dreamweaver, it has some really nice tools that make some things a bit easier to manage a website (like having a template file; you can replicate this with PHP, but it could be easier for some with Dreamweaver).

They also might take advantage of some of the web apps available today, like integrating your Flickr photos into your own gallery, or using Scriptaculous scripts for effects. I think that since the web tends to change rather quickly, the program could become outdated rather quickly as well.

WebObjects, from my understanding, is more for server apps than anything else. There could be a feature extension in WebObjects, but I think Apple would keep one app doing what it does best.

I wouldn't expect one, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world.
    -Chasen

21. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

That doesn't seem like a very fair comment. For one thing, it's insulting. How about people who just want to get up a quick blog or photo gallery without learning HTML/AJAX/etc.? iWeb seems perfect for those people ("the rest of us") and that's what it's targetted to do. Not everyone who doesn't have time or the need to be a guru is "stupid". I hope you didn't really mean what you said.

22. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

You still use DreamWeaver, but it is just a time saver. A good developer will understand everything thats going on under the hood. Some things are easier to do in textedit, while others are easier to do in DreamWeaver because of the automatic tagging and better validation responses.

23. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I meant ignorant, not stupid sorry :(, wrong word. Yeah I didn't mean that it wasn't good for those people, but for us Web Professionals, iWeb is like iPhoto for slide shows, throw in stuff, click a button.

24. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

OK cool :)