Will Apple ever make cheaper LCDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kristoffer4, Mar 8, 2006.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Hey I was just wondering do you think Apple will release screens that fits the mac mini in the future? As in 19" lcd widescreen but with a much lower price than the ones they have now? Because the ones they have now is nice, but no way I would pay that much for a screen for my computer.:eek:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The mac mini is really more of a 'switcher' machine than a full fledged Apple. It's designed for people that already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Not saying that the Mac mini is a bad idea as an only Mac for a person who just likes Macs, but I doubt that Apple plans to ever release an entry level LCD.

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

once can dream i suppose....i really like the apple displays, but am put off by the price....a 17" version i would love to bits, but there is no possible way that will happen now, as 19" upwards seems to be the norm.

S

4. nutmac macrumors 68030

19" is rather un-Apple. Price cut for existing Apple Cinema Displays is definitely coming (most likely with Intel "Power Mac"), possibly with iSight and improved panel.

Why 19"? I can see 1440x900 17" maybe. But 19"?

5. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I think there is a chance of Apple producing a 17" widescreen around the same time as the new MBP 17" (if they release one) because then there could be some unity in the panels in the laptop, iMac, and stand alone similar to 20" Cinema Display and the 20" iMac.

I am not sure if the resolution are the same on the iMac and Cinema Display?

6. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

cos 19" is basicly the same size as 20", but the prices are about £200 less than the same specs at 20".

17" widescreen would be too small, not enough height for a desktop.. me don't thinks anyway. bring me a 19" ACD!! :)

7. emaja macrumors 68000

Apple doesn't do cheap. They do good.

However, a 17" WS model would make sense as they already use it in the iMacs. They obviously have a supplier so I am not sure what the problem would be.

8. howesey macrumors 6502a

iMac 20" and Cinema 20" displays are the same.

9. nutmac macrumors 68030

Same spec? 4:3 20" LCDs are generally 1600x1200 whereas most 4:3 19" LCDs are 1280x1024. Besides, Apple does not do 4:3 (legacy iBook and eMac platforms notwithstanding).

In any case, I fully expect existing 20" ACD price to come down, from US $799 today to $599 ($499 education). Apple will never sell the cheapest LCD, but cheaper? Yes.

10. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Remember when they both had Studio (17" and something) and Cinema Displays (20, 23 and 30"). If they make a 17" widescreen studio display again, it would be perfect for the MacMini. My mom is getting a MacMini, and she wanted everything to be Apple:eek: , but the Cinema Displays are too expensive for a MacMini, so now she's getting an iMac (or iBook/MacBook when it comes).

11. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Jason is talking about these. They are typically 50% cheaper than 20" models from the same company and offer a 1440x900 pixel resolution (that is, 1.3MP vs 1.7MP for 20"). If Apple were to offer a 19" model, they would probably price it around the $499 mark.

Of course, they would then benefit from describing their displays in terms of megapixels rather than diagonal viewable image size, but that wouldn't be too big a shift to make.