Will Apple ever release a tablet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 50thVert, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 50thVert macrumors regular

hey every1,
    I recently bought a Mac Mini, and LOVED it. Absolutely, positively find it horrifying to work with PCs now. But unfortunately im in the market for a tablet. I really like the ability to work with the PC with one hand anywhere i need to. Do any of you think Apple has a PowerTablet in the works?

Thanks in advance,
    -Zach

2. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I really don't see the novelty of tablet computers. Outside of PDAs I don't see the need. Anything that involves touching the screen is just going to muck it up with fingerprints and scratches.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

As I said in this thread, I think there's a slim chance that Apple might announce a tablet mac on July 7th. They have this big media event planned for *something* and I don't really think that it would be for an update to an already released product. Something new, something groundbreaking. People are saying its for the iPhone but I really don't think that that's groundbreaking enough.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

File this along with my PDA answer:

Not. Happening. Ever.

6. Switzermac macrumors regular

7. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I really wish they'd release a Newton replacement... The Newton's large handwriting surface makes it a heck of a lot more useful than any PDA I've seen. Writing on those tiny screens is a pain.

I know people keeping say, "No tablets, they're a failure" but the thing that all these people don't get is that the Newton was much more than just a tablet computer and was genuinely useful, unlike today's tablet PCs.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

MP3 players weren't exactly doing amazingly well until the iPod came out either. Apple can make something cool and sell it in its millions. I'm sure they could do it to tablet pcs/macs.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Of course, you are comparing a computer to an mp3 player.

An MP3 player is guaranteed to work with your music. It is an easy thing to use, requires no setup, and just plays music.

A computer is a big thing, and its even bigger if its a Mac, because people aren't used to Macs. Plus, tablet PCs aren't exactly, erm, Selling.

I do agree if Apple released one they would sell, but they would only sell WELL according to Apple's current line of computers, not like HP's or DELL's.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have used many tablet pc's and to be frank, they suck, when your mobile it's tricky to use one in your arms or useing one sitting down, and when your at your desk they tend to have issues sitting on there cradels and i have had them disconnect and reconnect constantly so the KB&M are useless.

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Not to mention, the main reason for using tablets, that you can use them outside or just about anywhere while walking, doesn't hold up because they still use backlit LCD tech, which washes out in daylight real bad... it will be a long while before "tablets" really be mainstream. There are a lot of fundamental things that need to be done first.

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I had a convertible tablet, not very useful. Ever thought of a Wacom Tablet for your mini?

13. Bedawyn macrumors regular

There are a lot of us who would utterly love to have an Apple tablet, but I wouldn't hold your breath about them releasing one. If they do, I'll be the first in line to buy it, but I've been waiting anxiously for several years now. There's always some sort of thread or rumor around to make clinging to hope seem worthwhile, but I've finally given up and am reluctantly looking at Windows and Linux tablets. You can only hold your breath for so long, and there's no point in holding out for the best if the best doesn't exist.

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think Tablet laptops are a very natural way to use a portable. Perhaps the PC market just doesn't have a good user base for this product. They look at buying something really cheap, have lots of Mhz, a keyboard and mouse are the preferred way to communicate. Apple Media Centers would sell too with Quicktime as the foundation using HD and also iTunes library for the music.

I wouldn't use the PC market to determine if something will work in the Mac market. I agree about the Mp3 player comment. Mp3 players / software combo were terrible before the iPod. I owned 3 different MP3 players before my first iPod.

15. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Right, yes it is, but I don't think in its current form.
    I've tried to like Palms, Pocket PC's even Newtons and Tablets, but they just aren't good enough. And they won't be until some breakthrough comes, and I don't expect it from Microsoft...

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

heck i like useing my ibook outside, i hold it with one hand and type with the other, it's so light it works pretty well, i even had a chav come up to me outside the london apple store the day before it opened asking if my ibook was an ipod i'm that open with it, what i really cant stand is people who have stuff and conceal it out of fear, most people i know who have laptops dont take them anywhere out of fear of them being stolen, they just use them on a desk, what the hell is the point in that?

17. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I would definately want one, it would be a great remote control for the mini's audio/video center! :D

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, I believe that Apple will release a Tablet Mac.
    Why?
    1) They already have a patent.
    2) The switch to Intel microprocessors- the pentium m would make a "iTablet" very feasible!

19. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

Im just really hoping they do on the 7th. It would be something revolutionary to Apple, hopefully loaded with better features than current tablets, and also not able to be done with a G4/G5 cpu. It best be a PowerTablet first too with one freakin fast Pentium-M and DDR2 memory :cool:

20. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Agreed. They can play a role on the desktop, too: Multi-touch interaction

21. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

If they do, it would be nice to see it at the same time as or before a laptop release because I'm in the market for a educational machine to mostly take notes with. My dream tablet would one with intergrated scanner and printer!

22. dmetzcher macrumors regular

If they do release it, the name won't be iTablet. Something else...with the word "Mac" in the name.

23. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

a friend just sent me that link... which I wanted to post to this thread myself :)
    Kind of reminds me of the desktop in 'Minority Report'.

This would be perfect for a tablet, as long as you don't mind wiping the screen every hour.