Will Apple give me a free upgrade (Leopard)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedSponge, Mar 13, 2007.

1. RedSponge macrumors newbie

Long story short; my Macbook was stolen from college early December, and finally the insurance company have spoken to Apple and arranged a replacement model.

I informed them that Leopard was imminent and if they could hold off until then, and supply me with a shiny Leopard installed Macbook.

They say that the latest they can hold off due to performance targets and penalties and all that crap is the end of March.

Now if Leopard (and maybe iLife) was unveiled sometime in April, would Apple succumb to a free upgrade if I asked? I vaguely remember someone saying that it has happened. Just wondered if there is any truth to my vauge memories.

Much appreciated.

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought this happened after they announce the release date.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Upgrades To Leopard Won't Happen Until Apple Says They Will

Unlikely. Until they say upgrades are free from such and such a date nobody gets a free update. But look at it this way, you're getting a better new Mac for free. The least you can do is to give Apple $129 or less for the new system. It's really a bargain.

4. Shaker macrumors member

Shaker

Unlikely that they would give it to you for free if they haven't annonced it yet. Apple just doesn't work that way. Their products are good (I say good and not great because In my opinion they have slipped of late with respect to quality control issues) but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Only if Apple ships Leopard in April. When Apple announces a ship date, usually only those who buy after the announcement and maybe a week or two before the announcement get it. I also doubt that they will tell us the ship date with much, if any, lead time.

However, as you are student, you can get Leopard for $69 with the student discount.

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You've lived without a computer since December and you're asking whether you should hold off even longer to save $70?

8. tcrab macrumors member

You will probably not get an upgrade but it never hurts to ask. I heard apple is excellent with customer service so when leopard is announced I would give apple a call.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If it's within 10 days or so, you might get lucky. I'd just suck it up and pay the $70, to be honest.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, the OP is asking if there is any hope of saving the $69 if they do hold off to end March.

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I purchased my PB a week before Tiger was announced and even though the upgrade program stated that it was only available from a certain date, I didn't have any issues getting the upgrade for $10 (it's never free, they always charge for shipping). If you place the order around the end of March and Leopard is announced a week or two later, you may be eligible. If it's any longer than that, then chances are slim I would say.

12. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Dude you are in college. Leopard will cost $35.
    Don't sweat it.

13. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The official educational price is $69, not $35. Some universities have special deals to lower it more, like it sounds like yours does. However, most likely it will be $69 for him.