will apple give me a free upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Indo, May 8, 2005.

1. Indo macrumors member

Apr 2, 2005
    Northern, VA
    i purchased a 17" 1.8GHz iMac on the night of the tiger with another 256MB stick of RAM, applecare, and .mac. apple just updated their lineup and some people on another forum i go to said that if you bought a product within 14 days of a system upgrade you are entitled for a free upgrade or something like that.

will apple give me a free upgrade? i'm asking here because i'm not sure if they will and i'm sure someone here would have a definate answer. .Mac had a discount on it because i bought it with the imac, will i have to repurchase that?

i'm interested in the speed/bus increase, and GFX card upgrade.

thanks in advance.

2. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    No, they will NOT give you an upgrade. If you're lucky, however, they might give you money back... I forget how soon it has to be afterwards.
  3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    My experience with apple customer service would lead me to believe they will not let you. I bough an iBook G3 900 just days before the upgrade to G4 and when I called them they said too bad so sad. You may be stuck and they will likely tell you if you pay the restocking fee that you can return it and buy another. I would guess that is the most likey thing that will happen.
  4. Indo thread starter macrumors member

Apr 2, 2005
    Northern, VA
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You get Tiger for $10 under the Up-to-Date if you buy a machine the day of or after the new OS is announced...

You may be eligible for a "rebate" if a new machine comes out within 10 days of your purchase...

Click on the link and read the policy, and hurry... ;)