Will apple help install extra RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by -i2i-, Jul 3, 2005.

1. -i2i- macrumors newbie

I bought some extra RAM for my iBook and tried to install it, but was missing the right screwdriver. Once I had got the screwdriver and finally taken off all the screws I installed the RAM only to find that it didn't work.

I ordered some a new stick but during this time my combo drive went. I went into apple to the genius bar and they took it away for a month or so. I got my new RAM but when I got my iBook back they tightened up the screws so much that I can't get into it to install the new RAM?

Do you think that if I go back into see a mac genius that they'd be able to help me undo the screws and put the new RAM in? I don't want to ruin the screw threads.

2. macorama macrumors regular

Those screws are tricky - and it may be that it's got loctite on there, rather than just being done up tight. Have you had a go with a screwdriver with a big handle, and that's a perfect fit for the screw heads?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Possible problem with the RAM was if you didn't push it far enough into the socket. There should be no or very little of the gold contacts of the module remaining visible when it is inserted properly in the socket. If you can see more than 1/32" - 1 mm of contacts, or if you can seem more contacts on one side than on the other, then it is not correctly inserted.

It takes a reasonable amount of pressure to seat it all the way in the socket.

Apple won't install your 3rd party RAM for free, but a technician should be able to do it for around $30, perhaps the Apple Store would as well. Ask.

4. -i2i- thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Yeah I think that I should be able to get the RAM in once I have the metal cage off. I did it last time, and maybe I didn't push it far enough in, I'm not sure. All I really need them to do is to un-screw the screws, they are so tight I'm afraid of ruining them. Maybe I could just get them to unsrew them, that was if it gets buggered, it won't be my fault.

5. Astral Cars macrumors regular

they'll open it up for free and install it for $30