Will apple mac other things besides computers soon

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by tliptak, Aug 21, 2002.

?

How Many People think Apple Should Make this Besides Computers

1. Should

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Shouldn't

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. tliptak macrumors regular

Like Cd players Tv's Digital Cameras Cell phones theres been a lot of talk about the iPhone. I think its possible. It would be soo cool to have a white Apple TV.
    Just and Idea:D

2. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, I thought I'd read about something completely different when I came to this thread. :)

3. tliptak thread starter macrumors regular

Like what. It a basketball shoe named iWin hahhaha

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, if you don't know what macking means.... ;)

5. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

I have a friend who works at a design studio in San Francisco, they do Apple's point of purchase display designs. He said that Apple was getting ready to introduce their line of home audio products because they think they can take the market. That's all he was at liberty to say, but he did say to look for it soon.

should be interesting. :)

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Has he been a reliable source before?

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I think it would be great.. but they should stick to the computer area... as in all the products they make should be able to connect to your mac and do special stuff, for instance the iPod... and I think the iPhone would be a good idea.. but I wouldn't like Apple suddenly making white bath tubs with little silver Apple logos on them... unless you can set the temperatre and stuff from your mac, of course :)

phew.

woah, wtf did i just write!? I need some sleep...

irmongoose

8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

cobra is gonna jump on this soon.. i sware, i didnt influence him.. really.. :rolleyes: :p

[edit] i guess his double post was fixed.. [/edit]

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

LOL iWin maybe it would solve the labor dispute!
    They could make a iAccountant a robot accountant that get its right, and audits with ease and with no mistakes.
    Enron could have used it.

(Steals the next i idea);)

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Seriously, I don't think Apple will risk introducing products in markets that are very hot right now... What Apple did with the iPod, was take a crappy mp3 player market, and put an awesome product on the shelves... You have to look at markets that are usually relatively new, with plenty of room for innovation... Of course, for Apple, innovation is like a 10D thing, instead of a 3D thing for most companies...

11. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I like the home audio idea, they could make the crappy component mp3 player market nice, or they could do other home audio components, so they would all match. They could also make matching speakers, rebranded h/k's if they sounded good. Maybe a TV, but that yould be it. They would be innovative, like a built in Satellite reciever, into the TV, w/ a nice interface. Maybe a built in SuperDrive.

I can dream, right? :)

12. big macrumors 65816

big

uggg, a tv? as if. no way, that's like the iTank, a computerized fish tank you could control from your lap top, LAME.

maybe a dvd player that would link to your mac via ethernet.

13. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

If they did something like that, they sould also have the rest of the 'ware to go with it. If yuo were to have a DVD player, it might look best with a TV made by Apple (these things would mast likely look different than normal, right?) Besides, the digital hub strategy is leaning to what people do with their lives, and a lot of people enjoy wasting their time in front of the 'ol squwak box.

14. big macrumors 65816

big

>a lot of people enjoy wasting their time in front of the 'ol squwak box.

that's sad, throw out your TV

15. holmesf macrumors 6502a

Re: Will apple mac other things besides computers soon

Steve would never allow it, he hates TV. One of the first things he did (I think) when he came back to Apple was discontinue the Mac TV thing (I forget the official name).

And I agree...TV is trash, throw it out. I've been TV free for 9 months and haven't been better.

16. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I never said that I watched television, I just said that people did. I highly agree that it is a major waste of time, and I generally don't watch it. However, there are a few shows that I enjoy, and because the newspaper reporting around here (Long Island) sucks, I watch television in order to get my news. however, i keeep the viewing at a minimum.

And there was no need to kinda/sorta/maybe flame me. peace, my fellow human:) :) :)

17. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

whynot buy a $6 s-video cable and run it to your tv from you DVD player equipped <insert your mac here>

c'mon people, the company is called what again? Apple what??? Huh?? Starts with a C or D or, or .. something....

that's what I thought.

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I want to see an apple tivo, that will act as a broadband router, either cable or dsl, with a built in airport. I want to be able to copy a tv show to my computer to watch it there, or if the mpaa complains, to be able to stream either a recorded show, or a currently running show to my laptop. They could build quicktime streaming server into it, you could connect to a web page on the iTivo, control it, and then click on a show to start the streaming. It would also be nice to be able to use it to get a channel guide on your laptop, while having something else on tv, so you could program the box without using the tv screen. It would need two tuners.

How does this sound? Sell it for $500, but put at least 120GB of disk space into it, and make it easy to add another disk. Make it even easier than a tivo.

19. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i just cant picture apple making produts that arent really computer related..

so many more ppl trust sony and their products, etc... i cant see apple becoming a company like sony..

-f

20. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I'm not sure what I should vote. On one hand, I would like an Apple cell phone (CDMA 900/1900/2700, please). On the other hand, Apple has unsuccessfully tried to expand into areas other than computers before (Quicktake, anyone?). However, if Apple could make their product distinctive, which they failed to do with the Quicktake, they might sell quite a few of what ever it is. The iPod is successful because it is distinctive; there is nothing else like it. Any camera, cell phone, or Tivo-type device would have to have this same quality.

21. Griffindor73 macrumors member

I think it would be cool for Apple to move in a Sony-like direction- I would certainly consider Apple hi-fi seperates, especially if they had some kind of digital hub intergration, and other products like a DVD player- it would be good to see them branching out into other areas which would probably make them less prone to resessions etc. For example, if there is a slow down in the computer market Sony have their other producs to back them up. Sony moved from hi-fi's to the computer market without loosing direction in both, so why cant Apple do the same?

22. tliptak thread starter macrumors regular

Sony started 10 years ago and got the big name. Apple could do it i mean look at all the iMac color things.

23. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

***CONFIRMED***

The newest digital hub device:

[​IMG]

24. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I think that staying with the digital hub thing is a good idea. Sony has some great marketing, but many people know, they are good at getting a reasonable price, but their quality is not always the best. They sure are good at making you think that they are the best though.

Look at receivers: Sony is good, Denon is better. HK is damn good.
    DVD Players: Sony has them, are they the best? They are all about the same to me.
    I will say that their WEGA tvs are pretty highly regarded though.

So for an iTivo, I have been thinking more about this today, I think it would be an excellent product, and I think the only thing holding them back is all the flack that replay tv has been getting, and Apple has alot more money than replay, making them a riper target for lawsuits. As for getting away from computers, that is exactly what all the iTivo's and replaytvs are. They are linux boxes. They could use some super cheap G3s, are the slowest G4 out there inside to keep costs down. They would have to make it beautiful, of course. Give the thing a bluetooth remote control, that would be supercool, but of course give it an IR port, so that people could control it with their allinone remotes.

just some dreams.

25. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

the quicktake didnt really fail, rather it was abondoned more than anything else.. at the time it wasnt outragously overpriced, in fact it matched many of its competitors at the time...

i think the quicktake had a lack of pr, and was just released at the wrong time..

-f