Will Apple replace my iPhone 5 with this type of damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMikeT, Jan 1, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

I'm normally not the type of person who vents or projects my issues on here but this put me over the top, especially since this occurred within the first few minutes of 2013. I was really hoping to have a great start this year but instead, I have to deal with this issue. :(:mad: So with that said, I'll get to what happened.....

I was in the middle of a crowd where I was celebrating New Year's Eve and I had my iPhone out reading texts and attempting to reply to them before and after midnight. Shortly after midnight this really drunk guy came by dancing with his arms flailing about. The next thing I know, his arm hit my arm that was holding my iPhone really hard knocking it to the ground equally hard. While on the ground, my iPhone gets kicked around and stepped on, one of them being the drunk idiot. After picking it up, the provided pics is what it looked like.

I purchased AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5 in case of situations like this (after some debate). I would consider this to fall into AppleCare's accidental damage clause because some moron knocked my iPhone out of my hand, however, I'm not too sure if Apple will replace my iPhone in this condition (I'm just having the feeling that they may find a way of not honoring their accidental damage clause). And in case anyone was wondering, I babied my iPhone 5 to the point where I wouldn't let anyone touch it, my mother and the girl that I'm currently seeing included. Either way, I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when I get to my Genius Bar appointment at my closest Apple Store.

Thanks for reading and any feedback. I'm trying to turn a bad start to a better year so Happy New Year everyone!

Damage assessment:

-Destroyed screen
    -Missing home button cover
    -Dents on the aluminum
    -Screen assembly no longer fits the aluminum back

Despite the damage you see, I can still make and receive calls using Siri. Messages still come in. The bottom speaker and mic still works. The LED light still works. I just can't input anything because of the destroyed screen.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

I would have confronted the guy that knocked it out of your hands. I'd be pretty upset if some drunken ****** knocked my $800 iPhone out of my hands and caused that kind of damage to happen to it.

I would take it to an Apple store nonetheless. I'm not sure if that would qualify under accidental damage but chances are they'll replace it for you knowing Apple's track record. Just be honest.

3. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

It's what AppleCare + is for. Of course they will honor it. Just tell them what happened. They won't try to screw you over. New Year's Day is probably the biggest day for iPhone accidental damage replacements. Either that or St Patty's day I would guess.

4. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

How is that not accidental damage?

5. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Damn that totally sucks!! I'm sure they will replace with AppleCare+.

6. macrumors 6502a

the AppleCare+ covers this.

You get 2 of them. Go in, get it swapped, and you are good to go

7. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

[​IMG]

Carlton must be stopped! How many more iphones must we lose due to his carelessness??

8. macrumors 65816

As long as they can see the serial number, they will replace it for the $49 plus tax.

9. macrumors 601

Read the terms:
    http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf
    They can deny it if it's considered "reckless, abusive, willful or
    intentional conduct". Whether or not your case qualifies is something you'll have to ask them about.

10. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, they should replace it no problem.

11. macrumors 68020

how is this even a question?

I don't see how this is *not* or could even be considered *not* accidental damage... This story is the DEFINITION of accidental damage.

OP, I hope you revise your "who gets to touch my phone' personal rule after this mishap. Life's short and things happen. Not letting your girlfriend or mom touch your phone didn't help in this situation and is now pointless. Consider that moving forward.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support. Honestly, not having an active phone really sucks, I feel like I've been cut off from the world. That's been the biggest inconvenience of this whole situation.

I was originally going to say that the negativity from the naysayers hasn't helped but I'll also remain a little skeptical about them replacing my phone outright despite their policy. I've been in situations where I really had to jump through hoops to get other things replaced/repaired, like from an insurance company. So I'll just expect the worst and hope for the best.

Believe me, I was very upset and would have liked nothing more than for this guy to pay for a replacement in case I get denied by Apple. And since this is a 64GB iPhone 5, the full price is what, over $900 after taxes?

Exactly, how is this not accidental? The drunk guy, who was outside of my control, caused the series of events that destroyed my iPhone. Isn't that what an accident is?

Lol. The drunk guy wasn't too far off from Carlton.

Thanks. Like I said above, you and I can consider this an accident. However, I've had difficulties in the past about getting something replaced despite being told that the added insurance covers EVERYTHING.

I'm very particular about my stuff so I seldom let others use it. You're right though, despite it, my iPhone was still destroyed. So the best I can say is we'll see about bending that rule in the future. :)

13. macrumors 68020

macingman

Why not just contact Apple and see for yourself? They will replace the phone though, no question in my mind.

14. macrumors 6502a

Can't believe you're going to swap it out for such a small amount of damage, OCD city! :)

15. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Well now, I see I am wrong in another thread about replacements. It probably helps if I actually read the T&C's at some point in time. Thanks for making that point, however, I wouldn't consider this case reckless by any means. Now if he was drag racing and trying to take a selfie when the car next to him crossed over and hit him, knocking his phone out the window and breaking, I would consider that reckless.

16. macrumors 65816

Apple Care+ will replace your phone in almost all situations. The reason they have this clause is so that people can't just buy Apple Care plus and throw their phone off the top of the Eiffel Tower for kicks, or to make a youtube video and then get a new phone.

As long as you weren't TRYING to break the phone or were an incredible moron like "I was trying to throw the phone to my friend while we were upside down on a roller coaster to take a cool photo" there's no chance you will get your claim denied.

Honestly Apple Care+ has probably never denied a claim.

17. macrumors 601

Is funny now because u got AppleCare+ That's what you paid for. The fine print is just something they threw in to limit liability, otherwise they'd be open to any and all idiocy people are capable of.

----------

Unless you are dumb enough to tell them you were xtreme biking and the phone, whoops, slipped out!

18. macrumors G3

Think again before you confront some drunk guy. The OP is smarter than you.

Depending on when you got it, purchasing the iPhone with a credit card that offers 90 day accidental damage coverage would cover it too.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

Just a little OCD. ;)

I wanted to confront that guy but I knew it wouldn't get anywhere so I just let it go and hope for the best with Apple.

20. macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Even that constitutes as accidental damage!

It's more of "I went extreme biking and wanted to see how much damage an iPhone 5 can take before exploding" that Apple would probably deny your claim.

21. macrumors newbie

This is exactly what AppleCare+ is for & why you have it. I would be completely shocked if Apple refuses to replace for the $49. You'll undoubtedly be getting a new phone.

22. macrumors 65816

Why is that dumb? That would be covered under Applecare Plus.

As long as the serial number can be identified on the phone, Applecare Plus will replace the phone under most circumstances.

23. thread starter macrumors 68020

I just got back from the Apple Store (well after running a couple of errands on the way home) and they replaced my iPhone 5 with a brand new one from a white box. I also had to pay the $49 by the way. Glad they took care of this with no hassle. :)

Now I just need to restore this iPhone from the backup of my old one and I should be good to go.

Speaking of backing up the destroyed iPhone..... Despite all the damage, I was still able to connected it to and sync it with my iMac. Although, this process took longer than usual. I'm assuming that iTunes or the iPhone itself was running a diagnostic of sorts when it was connected and was realizing all the damage. Let's just hope the restore process is just as smooth as the replacement process. :)

24. macrumors member

Grats, one more accidental coverage left!

25. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

You're a little late to the party. He already did.