Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mansali

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Some ******* without my permission decided to rub/clean my phones back with his shirt to see the shinyness.

Now when I get home it has scratches on the back but the thing is that it's possible my phone would have gotten those scratches long term wise anyways.

Would apple consider my request or should I just consider it an accelerated process of my jet black being scratched over time?

Mansali

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
I can't believe people still bought the jet black phone when many were warned by apple themselves that it will eventually scratch...you should not be complaining. It was certain to happen and you were warned.

I didn't cause it. Someone else used their dirty shirt to clean the phone without my permission. I have been extremely careful with my phone.

I don't care too much if they don't refund it as I love the jet black however I believe I can be careful and those scratches would not have come if it weren't for that guy.

Reactions: cableguy84

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
Honestly, I don't think that they're able to do anything for you here as it's purely cosmetic damage. Are you covered by AppleCare+ ? You could still give it a shot, but I'd be surprised if they could do anything here.

Otherwise, you should talk one or two words with that guy...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I didn't cause it. Someone else used their dirty shirt to clean the phone without my permission. I have been extremely careful with my phone.

There is no way they will replace it over swirl marks on the finish. Its no different than a car. You wouldn't take your car back to the dealer if the paint has swirl marks from washing. Also, there is no way that a shirt is going to scratch the device unless it was covered in actually dirt or sand.

Reactions: Alexrat1996

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I don't care too much if they don't refund it as I love the jet black however I believe I can be careful and those scratches would not have e come if it weren't for that guy.
Why don't you go after that person? I mean, get that person to make you whole as they're the one that caused the damage...not you nor apple.

It's like blaming the person your spouse cheated you on with. Your spouse is probably the only one aware that cheating is going on.

Mansali

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Honestly, I don't think that they're able to do anything for you here as it's purely cosmetic damage. Are you covered by AppleCare+ ? You could still give it a shot, but I'd be surprised if they could do anything here.

Otherwise, you should talk one or two words with that guy...

Yeah I guess I'll try it out. The scratches are not visible unless you shine a light on them however long term wise I can expect my phone to look even worse then how it currently is even without that guys help so I could let it go I suppose :/

Not too much of a big deal but still.....

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
I can't believe people still bought the jet black phone when many were warned by apple themselves that it will eventually scratch...you should not be complaining. It was certain to happen and you were warned.

Amen! Everytime I see threads like this one, I feel like saying, I told you so!

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Why don't you go after that person? I mean, get that person to make you whole as they're the one that caused the damage...not you nor apple.

It's like blaming the person your spouse cheated you on with. Your spouse is probably the only one aware that cheating is going on.
Right and who would let there friend play or rub clean their new phone.....i wouldnt...you should be more selfish with your personal mobile device

Reactions: EezyE and Zari

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH

I don't care too much if they don't refund it as I love the jet black however I believe I can be careful and those scratches would not have come if it weren't for that guy.
Knowing the phone scratches easily, you either gave it to someone to look at or left it unattended so that they could access it. If you were this concerned about it scratching, then you made a poor choice. Personal responsibility; Apple doesn't owe you anything.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Not sure if I would hit up a polish type of approach just yet.

I'd keep hitting up youtube to see what other solutions people use that work. I wouldn't experiment on your own phone until you've seen something done successfully.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Try some scratch removing car polish?

It's anodized. Unless there is clear coat applied on top this might not be a good idea.

I really don't think there is any clear coat on top of the anodized aluminum so I wouldn't apply any cleaner or polish. Especially one designed for car clear coat to remove swirls. You're going to end up stripping the anodize.

Last edited:

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I can't believe a thread like this exists. Hey everyone, I gave my phone to someone, they did something to it, will apply pay for it? LOL. Why is this any different from you damaging the device yourself? They still wouldn't be responsible.

Also what's to say those scratches weren't already there just covered by fingerprints?

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Some ******* without my permission decided to rub/clean my phones back with his shirt to see the shinyness.

Now when I get home it has scratches on the back but the thing is that it's possible my phone would have gotten those scratches long term wise anyways.

Would apple consider my request or should I just consider it an accelerated process of my jet black being scratched over time?

Why would someone do that? pisses me off

However i think you're overreacting, the phone will get scratches

Reactions: Classic_Mac

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks

Do you have AppleCare +?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

How can people live with scuffed up Jet Black IPhone 7 Plus ? Kills the ohhhs and Ahhhs, it's like wearing dirty new whites shoes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.