Will Apple replace my Macbook Pro's power adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hit2cho, Dec 26, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I've had the computer for over a year. It is currently insured with the Applecare. It seems like the adapter's cord is starting to show some normal wear-and-tear. It still works (i.e., still charging my computer), but I'm afraid that it will either rip or cause a short sometime. I've never dinged the charger. It just seems like the coiling made it come apart. See the picture below. Will Apple replace this under the warranty, or will I have to rake out $80 for a new one if this one gives way?

image: (http://imgur.com/PAGPB.jpg)

edit - I just got off the phone with an Apple rep, and he will be shipping me a new adapter. I'll just have to send him back the damaged one. Thanks, guys!

2. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, they'll replace it. Visit your local Apple Store and they'll replace it on the spot. Or call AppleCare and they'll overnight a replacement adapter to you. Their number in the U.S. 1-800-275-2273.

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accident, wear and tear, etc. They only cover defects in manufacturing.

4. macrumors P6

-aggie-

That doesn't look like normal wear and tear. I doubt they'll replace it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok....they should replace it...that doesn't mean they will replace it. Sometimes the Geniuses at the Apple Store give you a hard time, so if you don't get it replaced there just call the number ziggy provided.

I had a similar problem a few years back. The Genius refused, but phone support sent me one via overnight Fedex.