Will Apple scrap OS 9 all together or just stop booting to 9

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stelliform, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I am about to switch my personal computer to a powerbook, and I use classic mode on my test computer to be compatible. (mainly 4d (6.5) and Outlook) What do you guys think Apple is going to do when they drop 9. Will it be simply no more booting in 9, or will it be no classic mode all together?

Thanks for your insight!
  2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001
    I think beginning in 2003 (or even with the next rev of the powerbooks due out soon) all Macs will not be able to boot into OS9. However, that doesn't mean you can't use classic mode in OSX. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    that is correct.

and to be super-correct, i'd say "all _new_ Macs," 'cuz my 3 at home will still boot os9.
  4. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    They said that they all computers released starting in 2003 will not boot into os 9. Classic will still be there, but i doubt it will advance much farther.

Does anyone know how they will stop it from booting into os 9? Will it be a firmware change to prevent it or something else?
  5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Most likely the hardware will just change to the point where OS 9 no longer runs on it.
  6. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    so on new Macs, because of phycal changes you will not be able to boot into OS 9? is this correct? i thought that new Macs would just not come with OS 9 installed.
  7. macattacks10 macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2002
  8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. According to Apple, the cost of development for machines dual booting is prohibitive. It is easier to just make the boot ROM compatible with OS X.

It's also a way to make sure that adoption of OS X moves forward. However you feel about it, it benefits Apple most if developers and consumers are all on the same page.
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Will it allow the use of Norton Systemworks to booup the Mac to allow repair such as defragement? Or will Drive 10 do the same? Thank you! :)
  10. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    That is very true. The (hopefully g5) computers coming out in Jan will only support OS X booting, and it will be better for everyone I think.

:::Note to SJ::: It would also be better for everyone if this chip operates at 4.5 GHz... Please.... :::End of Note to SJ:::
  11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry, any bootable media (hard drive or CD) will have to have a working OS X System on it.

As far as my limited knowledge on the subject goes, Apple will no longer program the physical chips on the motherboard to allow booting into OS 9. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  12. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    As long as I have classic mode in OS X I will be ok. On my test iMac I use M$ Outlook to connect to my server, and I bet M$ has no plans for an OS X version anytime soon. (My mixed clients also use this app for connectivity)

In my testing I am very pleased with classic mode in 10.2. And if I have to reboot the classic mode periodically I don't mind. I can surf, or do 10 other things while it reboots.
  13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    For people like me with older macs... (233 iMac) even though apple is wanting and wanting to kill off the OS 9, it is just a rush.
    Thats what I think.
  14. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    this is NOT directed at anyone in particular, i just liked what he said the most :)

kill it off? didn't they do that a year or so ago, when they stopped development and support for it?

why include something on their machines that they haven't supported for so long. they might just as well include system 6.