Will Apple ship me new RAM / pick up at store or do I need to send it in?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rob5, Dec 7, 2006.

1. rob5 macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2003
    My one month old BTO mac pro (2.66GHz, 4GB ram) has a stick of RAM that went dead.. after only one month. I've verified it, saw the red light for it on the riser, etc.

Is it going to be a hassle trying to get a replacement for this from Apple? I don't want to send this in for something minor like this.
  2. techster85 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I think you might have to send it in, I'm not sure of the process that apple takes when stuff like this happens, but I'm sure that they will replace the broken RAM. In my experience with apple, a couple ipod things and the powerbook battery replacement, they are fast and courteous.
  3. bankshot macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2003
    Southern California
    If you live near an Apple Store, just make an appointment at the Genius bar and take it in (make the appointment online at http://www.apple.com/retail/ as they fill up fast around here). When the hard drive in my Macbook died, they replaced it right there in the store. Gotta love that user-replaceable drive!

Unfortunately most Apple Stores don't let you call and actually speak with a Genius, so I don't know if you'd have to bring the whole machine in or not. That's a lot more to lug around than my laptop was! :D
  4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    Well you could either call apple care and have them send you a replacement and then you ship back the old one in the same box they sent you. Or you could just take it to the apple store and have them replace it for you. That's what I did on my pb's ram that failed the hardware test they just sent me the ram and I send the old one back.