will apple stop using ati after the amd merger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wmmk, Oct 25, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

now that ati and amd are allied and apple and intel are allied, will apple continue to produce macs will the option of ati graphics, we get exclusively nvidia and intel integrated? to be honest, i wouldn't mind that at all, i'm just wondering?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

3. iMetroid macrumors member

I prefer nVidia to ATI (though, I must say; the ATI cards I've used recently have performed better then my nVidia of equal power), but if forced to use one; I honestly wouldn't care. Both companies make fine cards.

That being said, it would be nice if Apple gave you a choice in Macs other then the Mac Pro.

I contradict myself too much. :rolleyes:

4. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

sure, but what i mean is, will AMD allow ati to sell chips to manufcturers using intel chips only to pressure them to start using AMD chips alongside intel chips or just switch to AMD altogether?

5. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I wouldn't think so. I like to drink Dr. Pepper but Coke wants me to drink their soda too.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

AMD would have to know that this would only result in more design wins for Nvidia.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think they'll keep all marketing opportunities available. If they would force things, they would cut off the possibility that Apple would ever use ATI GPUs or AMD CPUs most likely.

Of course, there is a third party fly in the ointment--SGI filed suit against ATI over patents claimed to be used by the Radeon line, which ATI inherited by acquiring another company.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

That would be a foolish policy. AMD should be more than happy to sell their newly acquired graphics processors despite the presence of Intel chips in their customers' products.

9. dmitch03 macrumors newbie

why wouldnt they? more money for them even though they arent making money off the processors.