Will Apple store have my BTO iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by john_satc, Sep 4, 2005.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

Hiya. Well I finally convinced my guardian to get an iMac. Were having it put in the study upstairs, so we had to call Telewest to put in our internet line up there. That is happening a week on monday (so in on the 12th Sep). Then on monday night we are going to the Apple store in Birmingham to get the iMac.

We are getting the 20", knocking it up to 1gig of ram, and are also getting wireless keyboard and mouse.

If I go in on that monday to the store (bearing in mind it is a small store), will I be able to pay there and receive the iMac straight away, or would they have to order one in?

Cheers,
    john

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

If all you are doing is getting the RAM upgraded, and then buying the extra bluetooth things, then i can not see why you wouldn't be able to get it.

Loving the double negatives.

3. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

I say you order a 512 from crucial right now, so you can have it when you get your iMac. Then go to the apple store and get a stock iMac and buy the BT keyboard and mouse. When you come home just pop the memory in. Apple will charge you like 100 bucks for a 512.

4. dcv macrumors G3

You can't buy BTO through a retail Apple store, you have to order online, but as Chromedome pointed out, if the only option you're after is extra RAM then save yourself some money with a stock iMac and get the extra memory from Crucial and install it yourself.

Is there a John Lewis store in Birmingham? You actually get a 2 year warranty from John Lewis... I wish I'd known this when buying my PowerBook. Prices are identical to the Apple Store.

5. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

HI. I could have sworn you could get a BTO through them, they told me at the store they could - unless it was some idiot guy who doesn't no anything. I will go in tomorrow and ask. There is a John Lewiss at touchwood centre in Birmingham. But my guardian wants the 3 year warranty anyway - and I never been to that John lewis so don't know if they do iMacs there.

I did get cheap RAM once, damn thing was I couldn't get it in. I argued with my iBook a lot and almost broke it (however much people say it is easy to get it, it wasn't for me!) so I would rather have them professionaly do it and means no hassle.

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

For the iMacs they will have exactly what you are looking for. The have the two models for the 20 inch, one with the BT setup and one with the wired mouse and keyboard. From there all you do is tell them you want to up the RAM to 1 gig and you'll be good to go. I just bought a 20 inch iMac from my local Apple Stores so I know this is how it works. They can even put a bigger hard drive in if you would like one.

7. dcv macrumors G3

Oh well I hope I haven't given you any false information. Perhaps give them a call to double-check but when i was buying my PowerBook and my sister's iBook, the London Apple Store told me we'd have to order hers online as she wanted a bigger hard disk etc. Maybe this just applies to portables, or perhaps they will do the RAM-only upgrades in-store.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Why not just call them? It's easier than going in and you'll find out whether they have stock and can put one aside. If you're deadset on getting them to fit the RAM, they might also do so (if you give credit card info) so you can just collect.

All the JL's should have iMacs - I think it's only the baby store in Windor that doesn't (yes, I work for them!). Not sure how much the Applecare to take it to 3 years is but JL charge £169 to extend the warranty on your iMac to 5 years.

9. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the only phone number for the store takes you to a automated machine, and I have tried every option possibe to try to get to a real person but no look. Will be no problem going in, i go to town every day anywy for work / school.

Also, can I check the pixels in store? And can I turn down the iMac if it has broken pixels? cheers

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes you can order a BTO in the apple store. Do they have it in stock at the store no. So i believe you can order it at the store and pay for it then and pick it up when it comes in.

Thou i guess that some of the apple stores around have the more popular BTOs in stock

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If your stores phone system is mine just press #5 selection. That should get you a live person. At least it works for me. I also would recommend calling to see what they have in stock. Calling may save a trip. The only reason to order at the store is if you are interested in purchasing ProCare. Very good for getting priority assistance wit Mac Guru and service.

12. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Some Apple stores have "common" BTO configuration machines in the store. When I bought my Rev A iMac at the Apple store it was a BTO model. They had machines with built in Bluetooth, BT mouse and KB and more RAM. So that's what I got, plus they opened it up for me and added an Airport card right there on the spot.

Check with your local Apple store, you may be able to get a somewhat BTO iMac. :)

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

512MB=$125!
    1Gb=$300!!

14. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well went in today (i live 5 minutes from the place so it really is no bother, specially seem I was shopping anyway), and the guy said they have them in today and so should still have them a week today. Just to call them in the morning to reserve one - though no number :( Should be fine I hope. Thanks all though.