Will Apple Store switch my iMac for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chpopel, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    Apple care has agreed to replace my 2009 iMac 27 with a new 2012 iMac 27.
    I asked them if I could get a 15" MacBook pro with retina but they said no, a replacement has to be the same. My question is can I bring the new one (unopened) to an apple store and exchange it for a MacBook pro? Due to my circumstances i need portability. The replacement will be: 3.4ghz i7 16 gig memory 1tb 7200 rpm drive. Ordered on dec 27th
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2010
    you can certainly try however since it is a replacement im not too sure they would do it, i say give it a try.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2006
    Or sell it, as an unopened refurbished machine, and use the money towards the laptop. Might take longer, but you would get what you want.
  4. macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    You are pushing your luck, you are already getting a massive upgrade, most company's would only replace the item with the exact same model, you are getting a 2012 model imac!!
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    Why refurbished? It will be brand new. They are replacing a 2009 with a 2012.
  6. macrumors 65816

Dec 2, 2006
    kidnapped by aliens
    Sell it as a brand new machine but just be honest about how you got it and why you sell it. It's possible you won't get the same box as you would buy it brand new.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    Why wouldn't I be getting a new box? Apple care placed an order for a new machine for me when I shipped my old 2009 iMac. My order is processing.
  8. macrumors 68000

Dec 22, 2008
    You cannot swap a free replacement for a different machine. Only option is sell the replacement and buy what you want. But as others have said, kiss the ground that you're getting a brand new replacement.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2006
    Yes, sorry, I didn't pay attention to the fact that you are getting a massive upgrade, I probably got distracted while reading it. If you don't want it, sell it. You might not get list price, as someone could easily order straight from Apple and avoid the risk of any problems that this computer (sight unseen) might have. I know I would want a discount to buy it off a guy on the street as opposed to ordering the same machine from Apple.

Knock 10-25% off and sell it on craigslist. Take the money and buy your laptop.
  10. macrumors 68040

Nov 3, 2011
    Sell it for about $200 under retail price - they dont pay tax so they save 350+
  11. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2012
    The Real Northern California
    You may very well be receiving a new iMac, in a new product box, straight off the line with everyone else that has ordered new.

I have no doubt that the serial number on your replacement unit will be cataloged by Apple and you will only have whatever remaining time on your AppleCare from your original 2009 iMac 27.

This will come into the equation if/when you offer this replacement up for sale.

You really should be tickled about this situation and stop making fun of and poking a "Gift-Horse".

From where I'm sitting, you either welcome this very nice warranty settlement or you receive it, put it up for sale, and take the proceeds to your nearest Apple establishment and purchase the rMBP that you want. :)
  12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    I phoned an apple store and they said I would need some sort of sales receipt.
    I guess I'll keep it and save for a MacBook pro. I do appreciate the fact that I'm getting a new iMac.

Would there be any reason why I couldn't add apple care to my new computer?
  13. macrumors 68030

Oct 21, 2012
    You get a 1 year warranty with a replacement machine. You can then do one of two things:

(1) Transfer your existing AppleCare over. You'll have the remainder of the existing warranty attached. (e.g. You had your machine 1 year 10 months. Your new machine will have 1 year 2 months warranty - the new warranty is replaced by the AppleCare, it doesn't get "added on").

(2) Get a pro-rata'd discount off of AppleCare. Sometimes they'll just discount it, sometimes they'll give you a pro-rata'd refund of the old plan. (e.g. if you have had your machine 1 year 10 months, you'd get a 38% refund or a 38% discount off of the new AppleCare (this works over the entire 3 years, not two, because of the phone support aspect).
  14. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2012
    I can see no reason why not since its a new machine under new warranty and apple says u need to buy apple care while its still under warranty so u should be able to
  15. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    What's the story behind the 2009 iMac -> 2012 iMac?
  16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    The 2009 i7 iMac had the hard drive replaced before the recall because of problems on startup. After about a month the same thing happened again. They sent a technician out to replace the hard drive and he suggested I also needed a new LCD screen because of grey spots and overheating. I kinda think there was also other problems with the motherboard. So I complained to AppleCare about all my problems and they agreed to replace my machine. I have AppleCare warranty till march 2013.
  17. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    Lucky you! Which iMac are they going to give you?

PS I think it's ballsy to request a retina MBP, btw :p
  18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    Ballsy, yea I suppose.This is what I'll be getting.

27-inch iMac
    Hide Configuration Details
    Available to ship:* January

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X8GB
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive
    Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG

I upgraded the memory not realizing I could do it myself later. Otherwise they matched my old configuration as I had an i7 upgrade on my 2009 iMac
  19. macrumors 6502a

Apr 15, 2012
    Dude...your are getting a brand new 2012 27 inch iMac.

I would be ecstatic if I was in your position.
  20. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    I am very happy with the situation :) :D:cool: I'll be happier when I get my new
    iMac. Right now I have no computer:(

I thank all you guys who replied. I do appreciate all your comments.
    Ps. That's the second time today someone's called me dude!!:cool:
  21. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008

Well, yes, I think you're bonkers to even complain. If you really want an MBP I'd truly just sell it unopened. Check the serial number when you get the new one and see what warranty it has by going here:

I'd be surprised if you only got the remainder of your warranty from your 2009. You may well get a brand new warranty. That makes it an easy sell, and then you can get a new MBP! :)
  22. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    My 2009 iMac warranty expires on march 10th 2013. Are ou implying the new one will have a 1 year parts and labor warranty?
  23. macrumors member

Jul 27, 2012
    How did you get them to agree to that? o_O
  24. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    I'm implying it may well do. Yes. You'll find out, but it wouldn't surprise me. It would make no sense for them to specifically hunt down that serial number and degrade a brand new machine to essentially a 2-month warranty. Let us know how you get on. :)
  25. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2012
    got my new 27" iMac last thursday! it came wednesday but nobody was home to sign for it. opened it up friday when i got home and it is great! just checked and it does have a one year warranty! i will be buying the apple care again!:)