Will Apple Support Screen Spanning for iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Grasbak, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I recently switched to apples buying the rev c iMac. Obviously was slighly miffed that the "new" iMac was replaced by the "newer" iMac so soon. In the end the only thing that is annoying me at the moment is the lack of screen spanning on my Mac.

I have read that apple prevented iMac (& iBook) owners from screen spanning to distinguish the consumer models from the pro models. Do we know how true that is?

If it is, and screen spanning is now supported on the Intel iMac, whats stopping apple from releasing a patch to free up this on the older machines?

(I know of the unofficial screen spanning hack)

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I believe the reason why Apple now supports extended desktop on the new iMac, is because it has a more powerful DVI based Graphics card.

I doubt Apple would turn around and offer an update, to switch on spanning, since they would prefer you to buy a new Intel iMac.

3. joebells macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that there is a site out there that offers a modded bios or something similar that allows the imac and ibooks to span their screen to an external but it may have just been the ibook and I don't know the address.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Screen Spanning Doctor is unsupported but will help with spanning.

It wouldn't really benefit Apple to go back and add screen spanning abilities to older Macs.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't think VGA was a real limited factor. I could get 2048 x 1536 out of my hacked iMac G5 on an external monitor.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah, I can run like 1600x1200 on my CRT from my iBook...yeah it's choppy but it's usable and that's amazing from a 2 way split 32MB RAM.

They have to differentiate the models....they have too or no one would buy a 12" powerbook (for example).

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, the iBook is really crippled with 32 MB of video RAM. Once you get to 64 MB it's not that bad. Still, 128 MB for dual screens at least.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Again, really depends on your usage. For productivity tasks where lots of real estate is useful, I do occasionally drive external with my iBook, and it handles okay.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

but thats my original point. They have stopped this differentiation with the new iMac which does support spanning. So why cant they add spanning to the G5 iMac?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Because it's an almost EOL product.... I mean, I get where you're coming from. Apple could whip up a patch in half a day and release it, and it would improve your customer satisfaction. But they sadly hardly ever do things like that. And for what it's worth, the Screen Spanning Doctor is ace. Just use it. :)

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As suggested above just get screen spanning doctor (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15401) it seems to work with both rev B and rev C iMacs (i use it just fine with the Rev B...)

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Works great with my 17" RevC and an external 17" monitor.

14. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Only reason I am reluctant to use screen spanning doctor is that I believe it voids my warranty..... already had to make use of that once (bought in Nov 05 and it needed new logic board in Jan 06)! Hence the call for official Apple Support! I guess I know it wont happen, am just frustrated about it.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you reset the non-volatile ram, I don't think there's any real trace of it left.

16. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

anyone know if screen spanning doctor works with rev A iMacs?????

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It does. It's listed under supported machines.

18. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

ok thanks

can someone tell me exactly how to screen span with an iMac g5 rev A and an old CRT computer monitor??

what parts do i need lol

Thanks in advance!!

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

All you need is a ~$20 VGA adapter. They sell them at the Apple Store. Says G5 iMac compatible. There's also a TV adapter. Plugs right into the port on the back. I have both, as well as the hack, on my Rev. B G5 iMac. Never have an issue, easily reversible, and turns off automatically when I disconnect the cable. Install the hack, doesn't void the warranty, all it does is change software. It's unsupported, but doesn't void the warranty.

20. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yeah? Well, shhhhh, don't tell this Pismo sitting on my desk that's got an 8 MB ATI Rage and spanning to a CRT. ;) :D