Will Apple upgrade the 12" PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Agent Smith, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

I owned the 1.33 mhz 12" PB, and tried the recent 12" ibook, but to me, there is no real comparison: the 12" PB right now is not much different from the 12" iBook. I would very much like to get another 12" PB, but I really don't like the fact that the current 12" only has 256 MB of ram soldered onto the motherboard. My question to the learned people on this board is, what are the chances that Apple will update the 12" PB to something more respectable than it is right now (i.e. 1 dimm of 512 mb DDR2 SDRAM standard, an standard or optional 128 mb gaphics card, etc.)? Or, barring that, a significant price drop on the current model? I'd rather not opt for a smaller Intel MacBook/MacBook Pro, since I'm somewhat hesitant on switching platforms without a larger base of universal binary software.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

They aren't going to do a G4 update. They may not even have an Pro Intel below 15-inches, but I can say there is no way they'll update the G4 model.

In the fall, they cut $200 off the price. They might reduce the price some more at some point, but who knows when that would be. I'd suspect more intel machines would need to come out, before they did that.

3. Redline13 macrumors 6502

There is just about a zero percent chance that the 12 inch Powerbook will ever get updated again. The only thing you might want to watch for is a price drop shortly after the MacBook Pro's start to ship and Apple wants to clear it's inventory.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I dont know, 1.25 GB of ram does the job for me. Have you tried it?

5. Agent Smith thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it's a combination of an elitist/snob thing and the fact that you are paying almost $500 (CDN) more for a computer that is only moderately different. Plus, I don't want to deal with the nightmare that some people are having with the 15" screen and now sound problems. I actually had a 15" HD PB which had the line problem; I promptly exchanged it for the G5 20" iMac. Oh well, I suppose I'll wait for the price to drop a bit...