Will Bush be tried for war crimes?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JW8725, Nov 4, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

Now that President Obama is about to take over, how soon before the Hague calls for Bush to be tried?

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Won't happen

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. macrumors 604

iShater

Never. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors G4

skunk

Should be, but won't.

5. macrumors 6502a

és:

In a word... No.

6. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It should happen but it won't not least because the US doesn't recognise the World Court.

7. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

He'd be able to plead "permanent insanity!" :p

8. macrumors 68040

squeeks

gonna have to try all of them senators (cough, hillary) who approved the war as well

9. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Who gave the orders?

10. macrumors 68040

ghall

Not gonna happen I'm afraid. :(

11. macrumors Core

MacNut

I would think that Obama would say the same thing Ford said, we need to move on and a trial won't solve anything.

12. macrumors 68000

flyinmac

A President cannot act alone. He can say to do something, but without backing from the other branches of Government, it will not happen. So, the order has to be given collectively or nothing will happen.

If you consider him guilty, then you have to consider those who backed him guilty as well.

And, since Obama has cast votes which helped continue the Iraq war, you'd have to put him on trial also.

A President is not the final say. A President without backing is nothing more than a guy with a fancy title.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Slobodan Milosevic comes to mind. He was tried so why not Bush?

14. macrumors 68020

Beric

All the presidents of the previous century would have had to be tried as well.

15. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Slobodan Milosevic was the leader of a tiny country in the Balkans. GWB is the leader of the USA.

Think about it.

16. macrumors G4

Realistic I think.

17. macrumors 68040

mactastic

One can only hope!

I doubt he'll ever be tried here. But I also suspect that there will be several members of the Bush administration who will have to be careful where they travel in the future...

And for those saying that Democrats and all past presidents would also have to be tried -- Bush could be tried on the torture issue alone. Congress passed nothing on torture. Congress was kept in the dark about the torture. Past presidents did not torture captives.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup I did, same S**T different smell came to mind. Months, years down the line people are going to call for his head.

19. macrumors 68000

flyinmac

Yeah right... Because in the 200+ year history of our country we have never before tortured those we held captive to gain information.

20. macrumors 68020

Beric

I debate that waterboarding is even torture. Regardless, we use it on our own soldiers far more than on enemies, just to get them used to what might happen to them if they ever were captured.

21. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, I think maybe later it will happen, right now though, I'm more worried about all the law's he's dismantling. I have really come to hate this period between the election and the inauguration. It really needs to be shortened so the outgoing president can't do so much damage.

22. macrumors 68020

Beric

To me, it just seems like it's time wasted. The outgoing president can't do much of anything, nor can the incoming president.

23. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep, MacDawg is correct. The political consequences would be dire, the trial a circus at best, and the ultimate objective would remain unfulfilled.

I think that Alberto Gonzalez and John Yoo might want to tread very carefully in the future, but again, even the Hague understands there would be political fallout for such an action.

Yes, but why do we do this as part of SERE training? Also, you should understand the psychological implications of having an enemy do it as opposed to someone who is trying to train you.

Lastly, name some other modern users of water-boarding. You'll note such luminaries as the Gestapo and the Japanese Army in World War II, and by Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. It was also used against US POWs in Vietnam.

You should also note in your lawyering on torture that during the Nuremberg trials Nazi officials were tried for such crimes, although I believe they referred to it as "dripping."