Will buying the Mac Mini right now get me the updated one, if there is one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gary King, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

I read in a few other posts that some people purchased a PowerBook, and it said that the specs for it were 'unknown' or something like that? And they are speculating that it is possibly because the PB is getting an update during the WWDC, so they are getting the newer, updated one?

So, if I purchased a Mac Mini right now, would I get the new specs, if the Mac Mini gets an update during the WWDC?

Also, just curious, but how long does it normally take for something like the Mini to ship, from purchase time to received time? (I'm in Canada, by the way; but I suppose they make it in Canada for me? Or no?)

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If a new one got announced on monday and started shipping immiedietly you would recieve the new one.SHadow

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you bought today, right now....

You'd get what you ordered.

Especially considering they are saying Apple is overstocked on just about everything right now except U2 iPods and iMacs.

When you BTO something or order something with a "wait" you stand a better chance getting the new one if it is announced within the wait time.

If you want something new, order it AFTER it is announced.

4. zach macrumors 65816

zach

yeah. the only thing you'd get is a price drop, due to apple's (i believe it's 7 days) policy of price guarentees..

5. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

just wait until monday, is only a few hours away!

6. asqy macrumors regular

7. Willy S macrumors 6502

Yes wait!

We will know a lot more in just 2-3 days. I plan to buy an eMac as our second computer if nothing gets upgraded. However, if Apple will upgrade the iBook, Mini or introduce a new product, then I would think again. :rolleyes:

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

9. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the coming Monday (in 2 days) when they announce anything? So after this Monday (basically, on Tuesday then) after that, nothing else is announced and it is safe and clear to buy something, knowing that it will not be updated?

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It varies. Back in January when they announced the new stuff at MacWorld, I think the PowerBooks were updated just a few weeks after.

11. chv400 macrumors 6502

So if the Mac Mini is updated what do you think the update will be. Any chance of maybe a GPU upgrade to say a 9600 w/64 MB vRAM for the core image stuff in tiger.

12. sk8erboy macrumors regular

emac already has 64mb vRam

13. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

So are you saying I should now wait a couple of weeks after WWDC is over? :(

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there is a general rule of thumb........whenever you buy, the next week is when an update is announced

wait until WWDC is over and if they havent announced a new model....then buy something!!!! you know you want to

seriously, if what's for sale RIGHT NOW will work for you, then it's still going to work for you even if they announce an upgrade