Will console playing hurt a Rear Projection Tv?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jackieonasses, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

okay i know this might be one of those one word answers...But as a kid they always told me it would. And on the ps2 box it said it would hurt the big-screen also...But i got San Andreas, and i had to play it on the big screen. Nothing happened. So would it only encounter burn-in if i leave it paused? thanks for everything in advance..

kyle

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I highly doubt it would hurt the tv.

HOWEVER, playing games on a big screen hurt me to the extent that I can't play 3D shooters like Metroid Prime or Splinter Cell for more than 30 mins without getting sick.

3. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

That is what i always thought. I was kinda scared because my dad would have at me if i messed it up! thanks!

kyle

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The main problem with burn in is stuff from the UI had that remains constant, health meters, mini-maps and such. It's become less of an issue recently, but if it's an older rear projection tv I would hesitate to use it.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've been playing console games on my 47" rear projection TV for a couple of years. I've seen no ill effects, but I am particularly reticent about playing games with static elements on the screen for long periods of time (>1 hour).
    This is probably just my paranoia though, as all the cable channels always have their darn logo fixed on the lower corner of the screen these days, and I've seen no ill effects from that practice, either.

6. jackieonasses thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

mine always has "video 2" on it at all times (unless i turn it off) but nothing happens...so i think i am good.

7. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

As far as I knew this hadnt been a problem for quite some years now.. just like screen savers really serve no function other then looking cool now :p But yeah, I game on my projection tv with no problem...

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It depends a lot on the t.v. I've played console games since I got my Magnavox in 1994 and have yet to have burn-in because of any game. My parents' Mitsubishis have been another matter. My mum watches t.v. shopping channels and you can clearly see the images whenever the t.v. is on. The newer t.v. had trouble very early compared to the older one.