Will Doom 3 work on my 1.33 G4 Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

i'm very interested in Doom 3, but i'd like to know if it's going to be playable in my Powerbook g4 1.33 (768 ram) 64 vram Mac........what do you thing?....is it worth it to spend the cash and buy it?

2. jane doe macrumors 6502

Nope, Requires a G5. 1.5Ghz or better. So I think the iMac G5 may be the lowest machine that they intend to support.

3. hjhhjh macrumors member

a dumb question but are u jane unknown 0? no or yes simple as that

4. DGFan macrumors 6502a

According to a post on slashdot (I think it was), those are just the preliminary specs so people with weaker machines don't preorder it and then get disappointed if it turns out not to run. As they tweak it the specs may come down.

FWIW, it seems to run fine on PC's with similar specs. Granted, with all the settings turned down. But it's still playable and looks pretty.

5. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Preliminary specs no matter. IF for some reason and I mean IF they lower the specs it'll still run like crap on any powerbook. It''s probably still run like garbage on the iMacs too. My guess is that it'll be okay on a dual 1.8 or higher.... Plus you gotta have a Video card better than the 5200.

6. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

welll....

I know that going from g4 533mhz to a dual 1.25ghz g4 is a bit different than g4 to g5 but I just want it on the record that the minimum specs for ut2k4 are an 800mhz g4, and my brother runs it fine on his 533mhz g4 and i run it on my dual 1.25. So like DGFan said it may run on lesser machines. But that PB would be pushing it anyway, even if it did run on a lesser machine.

7. Raiden macrumors regular

well I have a 1.5ghz PB, about to be pumped to 2gigs of ram, so I am hoping to get a somewhat ok experience of Doom 3 on it.

8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Raiden- If your 1.5 PB also has the 128MB VRAM and 5400RPM HD options then I suspect Doom 3 might be playable.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I hope so...

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah it'll run you'll get about 25fps with all the tweaks on barefeats.

11. melonloco51 macrumors newbie

Doom3 on 1.33Ghz Powerbook

It works well enough. I have 2GB of RAM and have also tried it with 1GB. NOt much difference. The FPS are acceptable not ideal. The only hiccups are when doors open, FPS drops for a second but then goes back to "normal", that is 20-25FPS.

The visuals are quite impressive although very dark...

I have only gotten past the first two levels but is its very good so far.

I hope this helps.

12. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

I installed Doom III on my brothers 1Ghz imac G4 with Geforce 4MX 64MB and 768MB of RAM. The Game installs and runs but it is barely playable at the lowest possible settings and resolutions. Actually for the most part it is unplayable. I got 13.4FPS in the timedemo so it's unplayable if you want any action.

There are several folks in the IMG forums that have gotten Doom III running at playable framerates on 1.25Ghz emac/imac G4 machines so you may want to give your powerbook a try as it should have enough juice for low quality and low resolution gameplay.