will doom3 run on high settings??

Discussion in 'Games' started by couch potato, Mar 31, 2004.

1. couch potato macrumors regular

i have a 2ghz G5 with 2GB of ram and a 9800 pro. and i cant run UT2k3 on all high settings at 60. either my g5 has problems, or this means doom3 is hopeless

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I predict that no one will be able to run Doom3 on highest settings and get much more than 60fps. UT2k3 does no run well on the Mac either, so depending on how well id does with Doom3, it could run at the same speed, even though the game has higher details.

3. LoadRunner macrumors member

try turning off sound. if it make a difference, I would recommend looking into purchasing a sound card. Or turning down the quality of sound as low as possible. Subposible apple is in the processor of porting a new sound libs into the os. That should improve performance. It isn't clear how much of ut sound problem are their own Responsibility, and how much of it is related to apple computer and their os.

I will say that q3a did not have such a huge problem with sound, nor dose warcraft III. Screen resoltion can also effect fps. Smaller = faster, expecially with every peace of eye candy that's turned on. Any thing above 1034X768 will be a hudge hit to fps. You do have an excellent video card, but it is only as powerfull if it's been implemented in the application.

I doubt ut2004 will be an accurate tool to rate the performance of d3. John carmac did an excelent job programing q3a. But I wouldn't be surprise if any computer can run that game at full quality when it's released.

4. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Don't think that there has been any confirmation that Doom3 will be ported over to Mac? Anyway fingers crossed.

5. LoadRunner macrumors member

It was only anounced at mac world sf as it was being demoed on a macintosh.

6. tom.96 macrumors regular

Doom 3 is coming to the Mac, as confirmed by inside mac games.
    There is a good interview at www.gamepro.com posted 10/3/3 regarding system requirements. They look quite low, which surprises me as I thought the game would need a monster machine.

I would hope that your machine with its G5 magic powers and a 9800 would run it fine. I think it depends on how well the game is coded to a large extent. For example, I can run return to castle wolfenstein on a G3 400, OS 9.1 with 8 meg ATi Rage graphics, well below the min reqs which I believe are a 32 meg card and a G4 500 with OS 9.2. It does run slowly but it is playable, and does suggest that id do code their games pretty well!

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Doom 3......

Man, this game has been in the picture since Febuary 2001 (MacWorld Tokyo, GeForce 3 show-off).

Last thing I heard "confirmed" was the April 1st launch date (must've been an April fools joke back then).
    Why is it taking so long???
    The PC demos (illegal) are around for about a year now, and still there is no definite launch date.

Check out the Doom3.com Pre-order sites:
    GameStop : "ETA July 1st"
    EB Games : "Ships on June 15th"

Did Micro$$$oft buy ID Software???

I'm getting frustrated.... :mad:

8. naodx macrumors newbie

I'm looking forward to this game as well. :)

I do recalling reading an interview with carmac (head programmer on doom3) which basically said they aren't putting the game out until they are completely satisfied.

I for one am willing to wait a little longer, if it means a better quality product. :)

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

It's an id game, guys... You know, one of the two major game companies that really seems to know how to program on the mac? They frequently dual-release their games, and Carmack has said how much he loves OS X's development environment.

I'd bet that Doom III runs at least as well as UT2k4, if not better, just because the guys at id are good at optimizing their code. I mean, I played Quake III on CRT iMacs... It's not going to be as bad as some people think. :cool:

10. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

uh... how many times does this need to be answered. yes, its coming for the Mac.

also, i doubt it'll run well with everything on "high" -- but i can also confidently say that it'll be coded 100% more solid than UT2K.

Carmack knows how to 'componentize' his development so the main engine isn't just a **** port of the PC side. either way, its gonna be good.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It's also been said that it will run on "really low requirements" I believe the PC requirements are 1Ghz and 32MB VRAM, but I am unsure on the specifics. I also believe I read something about it being capped at 30FPS or 60FPS because of the "glitch" in Q3A where it can go up to 300 or so FPS.

12. applekid macrumors 68020

The only answers to this question are complete assumptions. Just making sure you understand that.

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

That's not really much of a prediction considering the fact that John Carmack publically stated that he's capping Doom3 at 60fps.

14. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

15. shyataroo macrumors regular

I have played the Doom 3 Beta (yes you may lick my eyes for they have gazed upon the beauty that is doom 3) at a acquatances house he does ALOT of Graphics and Video Editing so he has a Pentium 4 Xenon with a GeforceFX and we ran it on a 640x480 resolution it ran decently until we pulled out the machine gun and riddled a Deamon with bullets (the game really does look that good) and it started slowing down and eventually crashed (stupid windowz) I think the problem was the lack of ram and it was a beta... so All of you who are worried about Doom 3 making your mac Explode beacusase of its pretty-ness remember since it is being coded for Mac amd PC it will run much better on a Mac than if it was first coded for PC than Ported over to the mac (such is the case with Unreal Tournement games) and for those of you who are wondering the size of the Beta?
    6GB

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

don't worry, no Mac that's out now will reach the engine-enforced 60fps cap.

and dude, that "beta" is an alpha leak and that's why it crashes so much. It crashed all the time when i was messing with it.

and it seems to like AMD machines more than Intel ones...

and it really likes the 9800, which is good news for some lucky G5 users, because they'll probably manage at least 30fps @ 800x600 or so...

hopefully.

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

You gotta be joking rite? GeforceFX and "Pentium 4 Xenon"?

I already got 15-20fps with a down-clocked Athlon XP 1600+ (@ 1350mhz) with a Radeon 8500.

With my current setup I got around 23-30fps easily. Now, I really think saying a 1ghz 32VRam Req is a bit silly since any P4 that is even close to 1ghz will NOT be able to run it, an AMD however may be able to.

*And i have no idea why it crashed so much for you guys. You're probably running the older version...

**And yes, UT games seem to like AMD procs. Go to most hardware sites around the 'net and you'll see what I mean.

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I dunno what your friend has installed on his computer, but my athlon XP 1700+ overclocked to 2Ghz with a Geforce 3 Ti500 can run the beta pretty smoothly regardless. BTW, the beta isn't 6Gb it's only about 1Gb.