Will G3 work with WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by kilo8383, Mar 21, 2005.

1. kilo8383 macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2005
    I have a 800mhz G3 w/ 128MB RAM. Will it even come close to running World of Warcraft even if I turn down all of the video options?
  2. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

Oct 19, 2004
    Searcy, AR
    i duno...i would say no, but then you might can handle it. Im running under specs with an 867 and it gets choppy sometimes in big cities, it requires a 933 i think, but i have up graded my video card to a 9800 pro with 128 vram. I would say that you system would strugle. But honestly it is worth buying a new computer for.
  3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....

In Altivec Applications my 450mhz G4 cube will out-pace a 800mhz G3... esp if you have the ibook. You have the OS X mininum on ram too.. I would suggest giving your computer (an iBook guessing) as much ram as you can. You still probably won't be able to run it. Sorry.

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    As much as I hate to say it, if you want to play WoW and only have a small amount of money, you are better off building yourself a small PC gaming rig until you can afford better.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    It's definitely unplayable. I'm with dferrara on this one. Build a really cheap PC with an OK video card and you'll be set for this and many other games.
  6. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    This will be unplayable at all. And I don't mention unenjoyable...
    Especially when you have less than 512 MB RAM and a G3... :(
  7. kilo8383 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2005
  8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Yeah. I was thinking about geting it but my processor is the minmum it requires. I only have 32 VRAM while it asks for 64. Would I have any hope of it running on my machine with the settings turned down all the way?
  9. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    It might work, although I don't know how playable will be in the larger cities. On my set-up it runs fairly well however, there are times that it does lag a bit. (By the way, I use the Powerbook for WoW). You have enough memory so I would say try it. If one of your friends has the game, I think they give a free ten-day trial in the retail box, you could hit them up and see if it works or not.

10. a2daj macrumors member

Sep 14, 2004
    I tried WoW on a B&W 1 GHz G3 w/ 1 GB of RAM and a Radeon 9200 (128 MB VRAM). It ran. Performance wasn't that great, but I could see someone finding it playable. Avg fps were about 18+ fps while doing Westfall quests with all the graphics settings low. I hung out in the Ironforge Auction House for a few minutes and was getting 4-5 fps. I then tried the same tests on a Sawtooth with a 1.4 GHz G4 and a Radeon 8500 and performance was a little higher in the same Westfall areas, maybe 1-2 fps higher, but the AH test had the same results as the G3, 4-5 fps. Both systems seemed to perform about the same if you want to talk about "feel." Of course, I prefer to play the game on my Dual 2.5 G5 w/ a Radeon X800, but if I were doing some lower level solo quests, one of the two previous systems would do in a pinch.
  11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Does anyone know if my Quadra 950 will be able to play Doom 3? :rolleyes:
  12. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    I have an 800 mhz G3, with 384 MB ram. WoW is certianly playable with all detail turned down. a bump to 640 MB ram would help. It chugs hard core when entering new areas, between the slow laptop drive and the limited ram. But to to be able to run WoW on the go, visiting some one, at school where ever etc.... Its great. With 128 MB Ram ,however, I would say unplayable. It runs fine with 32 MB Video ram.
  13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Hmmm...After hearing all the good things I might have to try it. Now I have three questions:
    1. How much does it cost me to play online? Is it a monthly fee?
    2. How hard is it too learn? I am an absolute RPG noob. Never played one in my life. Is there a tutorial?
    3. Because of my machine, is it still fun without the eye candy?
  14. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    yes there is a monthly fee. around $15, i think.

no, it's quite easy to learn. never played a game like it before and i caught on quickly (and became somewhat addicted)

if it's playable, it will be fun. eye candy will play no part in it. of course, not being able to run it well enough to accomplish anything would put a damper on the whole experience.
  15. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003

i dunno, man. you MAY be able to play it, but i just don't know if it would be worth it. i have a dul 1.25 GHz G4 w/ a GB of RAM and i had to tweak the settings to make it run smoothly. it's not Doom3 as far as hard core graphics, it's just the amount of characters & buildings it has to draw.

you may be able to play it, i just think it would be so annoying to keep dying b/c of lag. that will be a HUGE problem. i have lag deaths all the time & i have the top speed of DSL running into my machine.

let us know how it goes! :confused:
  16. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Find a friend who has the game, take your iBook around, install it, and give it a go. I don't think Blizzard would mind, because only one account can go with each CD key anyway.
  17. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    I play WoW on my G3 iBook as well. it runs alright with all the details turned low. once you get into big cities (especially ironforge) it gets to about 4 fps but in the open it is certainly playable. (around 15 - 20fps). I do have 640MB ram though.
  18. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Well considering they got PearPC to run on a 68k Mac, I would say yes. It took a week or 2 to boot, but if you dont mind .000000000000000001 fps then go for it ;) .