Will G5 Restore discs install Panther on a G4 eMac (1Ghz)?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jimjiminyjim, May 1, 2004.

1. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I'm looking to install Panther on my 1Ghz emac, and am wondering if the G5 restore discs will work. Has anyone (or could anyone) try this and let me know? Thanks in advance, Jim.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Once again I will say....if you want to install Panther on your eMac go and BUY A LICENCE FOR IT. The copy that came with a G5 is for that computer only. OS X is a SINGLE COMPUTER license unless you buy the retail "Family Pack." I am always amazed a what little regard people here show for the licence agreements. As for your original question, well - it is against board policy to ask for assistance in pirating software so I will leave it at that......oh yeah!

3. IrishGold macrumors member

4. jimjiminyjim thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks for the information Duffman.

Your implication that I show little regard for license agreements was not necessary. I am attempting to show integrity by purchasing a version of OS X Panther - used because I cannot afford the full apple price - instead of downloading an illegal copy.

Would it be fair to assume that if I have the original discs, I am entitled to the rights of it's use, and not the seller? That is the assumption under which I am searching for a copy of Panther on eBay, and under which I posted my question.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any assumptions here.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....hey....sorry if I misjudged your situation - it is just that 99% of the time it *is* people trying to cheat their license and install on their other computers. Personally, I would avoid using software restore disks bought from a 3rd party....or at least i would dig into the license a bit before buying it.....it could be worded as such that it is licensed for the computer it was sold with as it was part of that package. And what if the person that sold it to you sells the computer? In most cases it is not the disks themselves that constitute owning the license but it is the legal possession of the software license (that piece of paper in the box) that determines ownership. What kind of price are you willing to pay for Panther? Not to point you over to another board, but there is someone with a copy (box, all disks and docs) for sale over at the macnn forums marketplace...i believe they are after $75us shipped...not bad and maybe you can haggle a bit? Cheers....oh yeah!

6. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

my first guess would be no. I remember the G5's having shipping with their own version of 10.2.7, G5 specific. It may work, but I'd be pretty surprised if it did. If you have any success, i'd love to hear.

brian

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've never known OEM OS X discs to work in other machines, so i'd say definitely not. I suppose there's a chance they did away with that protection, but it's unlikely.

paul

8. NP3 macrumors regular

Just for the sake of accuracy i'll post this:

Our family just got a 1.8 DP G5 & it came with two software G5 DVDs. The OS version is 10.3.3. Using Disc One (not the software restore one) i successfully installed Panther on my Janguar Sawtooth G4. The disc acted just like a regular OS install DVD...even the system requirements listed a G3,G4, or G5 in the first pages of the installer. I've been running it for a week & have had zero problems.

Please don't flame me about license issues, i'm getting my own laptop for graduation in a month...

9. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Only the build that originally shipped with the G5 (10.2.7) was different from the official release.

Later versions (especially those distributed via software update) have all hardware specific files for all supported Macs integrated.

See this Build Number list