Will Gates Get Senate Confirmation?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Nov 8, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

What about Robert Michael Gates? Will his Iran-contra shadows remain too dark for him to be confirmed in the light of a different Senate?

Attached Files:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well wait and see the document that will follow, right now, I have no idea.

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Does he actually need Senate confirmation to be secretary of defense?

Can't Bush just appoint him? :confused:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

According to wikipedia, yes the senate must confirm the presidential appointee for SecDef

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Ok Thanks. My knowlege of political protocol is limited. :eek:

6. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Unfortunately, I believe the "new" Senate won't be in session immediately. Possibly why Rumsfield is retiring.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Anyone notice he's from Texas A&E? :rolleyes:

Does Bush know anyone outside of farking Texas?

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Does this Gates guy know anything about military strategy? I have to admit, I've never even heard of this guy before today.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he was CIA director under GHW Bush and was part of his inner circle. he was part of the decision-making process that decided to not invade baghdad and not overthrow saddam. i hear he's a protege of scowcroft, and that was scowcroft's view on the iraq thing, so i reckon gates shares that view.

most recently, he's part of the jim baker team reassessing the iraq situation.

it wouldn't surprise me at all if gates institutes a whole new iraq policy.

10. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

:D I thought about that, too. When it comes to nepotism and bubbaism, it's best to keep it in the family.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm sure Bush had this nomination planned for quite some time.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Last week he said Rummie was staying indefinitely. I just think no one told him. :p Seriously though, this was the Dems' guy so they'd look like hypocrites if they didn't put him through. If he can find Bin Laden and fix the 'stans, we may be looking at the next President. Hopefully they ask a lot of questions though. I suspect a big show, then they confirm him.

Then when Iraq starts going well, the conservative talk show hosts can say their side set it up to go well and the Dems just got lucky with timing.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

something i just heard on the radio, which i think fits here... will the senate confirm bolton when he comes up for confirmation after his recess appointment expires?

everything i've seen and heard about this guy is that he's a total hawk. if the dems don't put their foot down on this appointment, then that will not bode well at all for them having some spines.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Or maybe this Dem win is a big Bush conspiracy where he intentionally let the Dems win by not firing Rummy. Afterall, firing rummy before the elections would have earned major brownie points. So Bush is conspiring with those evil leftist pelosis out there to get thise guest-worker program up and running. Roar! :mad:

Or maybe I'm over my head. LOL

If Republicans can delay that hearing, they will. Everyone is saying this is a time of cooperation. I say BS. Everyone knows Bolton is outa here... The only cooperation will be that guest-worker program.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, his brother lives in Floriduh and yes, they kept saying that Gates was the administrator for Texas A&M.

Being the head of the CIA for some time, having worked his way up from an entry level position as they said, it's likely that he knows nothing about military strategy but he knows how to kill and be aggressive and hopefully, he doesn't have to be trained to talk in front of a group.

As much trouble as the president had appointing others who needed to have Senate approval with a Republican majority, it will be interesting to see if there is any change.