Will Geil brand of memory fit in the Intel iMacs??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vakej, Mar 19, 2006.

1. vakej macrumors member

Mar 13, 2006

I'm anxiously waiting the delivery of my new intel based iMac :)

I order the base model, and will be upgradin the memory.

GEIL memory sticks tends to be thicker, relative to other brands. I'm not that familiar with the innards of the imac yet. Will the GEIL (DDR2 PC5300)memory fit? Anyone use the GEIL brand?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    DDR2-667 MHz (PC2-5300)SODIMMs will fit. The question is will they be compatible once they are installed?

The best bet is to stick with a reputable sellerwho guarantees compatibility with your model Mac. Otherwise, it's up to you to do the testing and take the risk of the cost of returning it.
  3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    It probably will. But like CanadaRAM said, go with a vendor that guarantees it to work in your system. Otherwise you'll get slapped with some nice restocking fees.
  4. jlloyd macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2006

I ordered 2 of the 1.0GB (1024MB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Mem. today from this site with overnight delivery.

I can post my findings if you are interested. I have been buying from this place for about a year now they are great!

- Jeff
  5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Geil has recognized that their RAM does not always work in Macs, so they released a Mac line of RAM. It is very high quality, but very overpriced.
  6. jlloyd macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2006
    got mine installed yesterday and it worked just fine no reboots just solid 2 gigs. On a side note I cant understand why the box ueses so much memory off the top. I opened a few things nothing major and it was using 1.5 gigs with 500megs free.. is this normal ?