Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jertanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
The "official" GW2 requirements state that it runs well on mid-2010 21.5 inch iMac but my specs are below the requirements. Is anyone playing on a similar set up? Will I be able to play?

Thank you!
:):):):):):)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The "official" GW2 requirements state that it runs well on mid-2010 21.5 inch iMac but my specs are below the requirements. Is anyone playing on a similar set up? Will I be able to play?

Thank you!

Probably, but with 256MB VRAM the speeds aren't gonna be great.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
not sure what the previous poster is talking about, vram amount has zero to do with speed unless your texture set is constantly being reloaded (use low texture resolution option).

That said, the GW2 client is a pig. Even on a beastly machine you suffer a considerable fps tax for running on osx (they use cider and haven't optimized it much), just run it in bootcamp with the settings down.

Thank you!

jertanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
UPDATE:
I got in on the "invite a friend" free weekend deal that started today (Nov 15 - 18... if you know someone that plays and want to see if your mac will run it, now's the time to try! Have them send you an invite.)

So far everything is running fine on my machine via the Mac client. On Low settings I'm getting around 24-27 fps playing on 1920x1080. It may not be the highest quality image, but It's running smoothly and I'm able to play w/out any problems.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
That's great to hear! If your experience is anything like mine you'll get another 20% fps from running it In bootcamp.

UPDATE:
I got in on the "invite a friend" free weekend deal that started today (Nov 15 - 18... if you know someone that plays and want to see if your mac will run it, now's the time to try! Have them send you an invite.)

So far everything is running fine on my machine via the Mac client. On Low settings I'm getting around 24-27 fps playing on 1920x1080. It may not be the highest quality image, but It's running smoothly and I'm able to play w/out any problems.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
That's great to hear! If your experience is anything like mine you'll get another 20% fps from running it In bootcamp.

From the many posts and threads I've seen about this game, EVERYONE agress that you will lose 10-20 fps when using the mac client compared to the windows one....

Arenanet continue to push updates, but I feel the mac client is still not as good as the PC one. Anyway, I will not complain as I love not having to boot to windows just to play GW2!
Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.