Will Handbrake cause damage to DVD's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RMD68, Mar 18, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

I am new to Handbrake and I wanted to know if the program could in any likely way cause damage to a DVD and how high of a risk is it? Besides the legal action that could be taken is it a risky idea, which I'm in no way advocating, to rip rented DVD's? I wanted to get more use out of my PSP and I figure movies would be a good way to go.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

commercial DVDs are read-only, so no software can cause damage to your DVDs.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Short of spitting your DVD out onto pavement or something (or getting something stuck the drive...), I don't think it's possible for a computer to digitally do damage to a DVD.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.
    Capiche?

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Only if you modded your DVD laser power output from "read" to "melt"...which would be sweet

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

hehe - you could replace the laser with a Wicked Laser. That would DEFINITELY damage it...and probably shoot through the top of your computer too ;)

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

No. However, I use Mac The Ripper to copy the DVD to the Mac first. The reason is that it only takes a few minutes, and the DVD drive is only running for that short time. With Handbrake, the DVD drive is running the whole time, and especially with H.264 and two-pass encoding for highest quality, this can be very long and will wear out the DVD drive.

Using Mac The Ripper also has the advantage that you can copy several DVDs, then set up Handbrake to convert them overnight.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use an external 16x 5.25" DVD drive when I use MacTheRipper or Handbrake. It's probably the easiest bottleneck to resolve.