Will HBO's Carnivále End?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Balin64, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I love HBO's Carnivále (known as Carnival from here on). Who else on these forums has been following the show? Now, I know that other forums (mainly the hbo site) have long, drawn out discussions about the story and speculation thereof, but here's my question(s): Will Carnival come back for a third season? Who was healed in the last episode when acres of corn wilted just as the Carnival pulled out of New Canaan? I despise Brother Justin... but I would not seeing him again if there is a third season. I hate cliffhangers. Thoughts?

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've been following the show from the beginning and I thought it was going to end this season since at one point they advertised only 3 episodes left not "3 episodes left in the season."

I'm not sure what was happening in the last episode. Either Sophie is healing Brother Justin or taking his powers. If she is healing him I think that she is the next incarnation of Henry Scutter or "Management", I'm not sure which one she would be though since both Scutter and Management seemed to be on the same side (of course they were after eachother in the past). If she is healing him it means that Ben didn't actually kill Brother Justin, he just came close (remember that in order to bring someone back from the dead you have to kill someone else, not just take out a corn field). The next season opener will answer the question of who will be Sophie's match on Ben's side?

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i love this show, and my girlfriend and i weren't expecting a third season, until we saw the last episode of seaon two.

don't forget, ben "moves" life, he doesn't have to kill someone to give it to someone else. he saved jonesy by killing those vultures remember, so it's conceivable that the corn was dying to give life back to brother justin, who, if i remember correctly, was getting stronger and stronger. and yeah, sophie looks interesting right now...

i think i may get it on dvd as there's so much i have probably missed in this awesome show.

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I sure the hell hope it comes back, thats the only show on television worth watching. I read somewhere that they have material for at least 5 seasons but won't know if they're being renewed for a 3rd until June, since Carnivale's ratings are pretty bad. There are rumors floating around that the next 2 season story-arc has something to do with Europe.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But if you remember back to when Ruthie was dead, the rules were stated that in order to bring someone back from the dead someone else's life must be taken (in this instance it happened to be Lodz) it couldn't be done by sucking it from corn, dogs, vultures or anything like that, Ben had to take someone else's life to save Ruthie. Ben can heal injuries by moving life force from other things but resurrection requires sacrificing another human being.

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Maybe Sophie's finally killing her mom. I mean first she's mute, then she's dead but she STILL won't shut the hell up! :)

7. garybUK Guest

garybUK

shhhhhhhh we havn't got the second series on sky yet :(

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

the finale was pretty interesting. I don't have a clue about hwy the corn was dying, perhaps she WAS taking his powers as someone suggested, but I don't think she was healing him.

Although Justin is the Alpha and she the Omega, so I wonder if that refers to just her being his daughter, or if that is a reference to the roles they play, in which case I don't see how the Alpha and Omega could coexist.

I just can't see the two "demons" or Justin and Sophie working together in an episode, or even both existing at the same time. There was always a balance that was maintained, and if Justin is alive, the balance is WAY off unless Ben finds a partner as well. Scutter and management had similar roles in the plot, just like Ben and Justin. Scutter and Mgmt both had to die. Perhaps there always has to be an evil one and a good one...so that if Ben died, there would be someone to take his place.

If you recall, Sophie's abilities has always been in channeling. Perhaps she was taking his powers when the corn died, which could be an extension of that ability.

It will be interesting to see how the Iris character plays out after what's happened.

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

huh? There's only one series...what is "sky"?

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Satellite TV network in the UK. There's no HBO outside of the US (as far as I know), so in England you get a lot of US shows on Sky and other UK networks.

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

SKY is a digital satellite broadcaster :) its on a channel called FX286 a fox channel, cos the owners of BSKYB (British Sky Broadcasting) own fox.

sky does all the fancy digital recording, has two tuners etc.... 160gb hdd in it and all that jazz.

Series over 'ere is called a Season over there :)

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

good point. was jonesy still alive then when ben healed him? i can't remember...

13. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

A Life for a Life , thats how it works. Corn cannot ressurect a human , the life must me taken by the Prince/Prophet willingly and given to another. In the case of Brother Justin a life was already taken for his ......Jonsey's.

"A DARK HEART DWELLS WHERE BRANCHES MEET- ANNOINTED DAGGER PLUNGE THEE DEEP!" - Management aka Lucious Belyakov

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Jonesy was still alive although barely.

Good Point! Completely missed that. I'm going to guess that next season's premiere if there is one will see the resurrection of Brother Justin and the revealing of Ben's ally (Sophie's counterpart).

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I love this show.

most of the points I wanted to make have already been mentioned; I'll spare you the reiteration. I did want to mention however that Jonsey was probably already dead; maybe Sofie knew that Justin was dying or dead and shot Jones to save him... but why? and again, what is with the dying corn? {{shrugs}} there has to be some mystery afterall ;)

I also wondered about this... anyone ever notice that all the "avataric" roles are males? (didn't someone also say on that show that there were "Avataric Wildcards"???) Sophie being the Omega, could she be *the only female avatar*? Now, why would that be? Perhaps her very essence of being woman plays a role here; maybe the "life-moving" is that she's pregnant. Sofie isn't exactly an aristocrat, that turn of events would not shock me... and this is the 30's, isn't it? i don't see her being a parent though.. so the life-moving ressurection theory could still hold up, especially if this is Ben's child... surely that would have some significance.

There is plenty of "evidence" to conclude that Ben, Justin, and Sofie play large roles again; no way is it over now. That would seriously twist my undercrackers if HBO pulled that rubbish. :p

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Carnivále is an absolutely wonderful show, totally intriguing, and the reason we subscribe to HBO. Not only have we had the family gathered around the TV each Sunday night, but we turn off the phones, dim the lights, sit almost totally silent during the show, and have a big discussion afterwards about each development in the plot.

Anybody see the movie Fallen? It had the same idea, that good and evil are forces that live on by traveling from person to person.

The opening credits and music were enough to get us hooked from the very first episode. And the story is complicated and fascinating, like a book you can't put down. If you haven't see it already, check out the Flash presentation of how the opening credits were made and a bit about what they mean.

I think Sophie will take Justin's place. She, his daughter, will be Ben's nemesis next season, which he won't realize at first. He'll be trying to save her and she'll be trying to destroy him.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I can't believe I never checked HBO for that; thanks for the link Dr Q. I love that they have the whole opening presented in flash... however, it makes me miss the show.

I don't answer the phone or talk during the show either - if someone else does, they'll get a nice tall glass of "shut the [beep] up". Unforunately I married my polar opposite and he isn't into the show, he is also practically narcoleptic and I'm a perpetual insomniac... so I am usually awake and excited to see it and he's crashed out on the recliner. :rolleyes: It's nice to know there are others who like it as much as I do. What WOULD I do without HBO?

I also love the opening credits for Six Feet Under, that was very well done too. ...not to get off topic.

I think Ben and Sophie will be the newest "good vs. evil" too; I can't wait for season 3

18. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Wonderful Replies

I also cannot wait for Season 3...

There better be a third season! They just cannot drop it like this. I do not subscribe to HBO, but I teavel quite a bit for work and many times I have Sunday off while Monday is a late-evening traveling day. I saw the first episode ever and I was hooked. Thank god for NetFlix, now I have seen all of season 1.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

A theory hit me on the drive to work this morning. I am probably completely off my rocker but here goes.

Could Sophie's counterpart be Lodz?

In one of Ruthie's Lodz trances Lods told Lila that he would be back in his original body.

Of course the speculation is moot since there appear to be many rumors going around indicating that Carnivale has been cancelled. On a mildly related note it looks as though Six Feet Under will be starting it's final season in June.

Looks Like I can cancel HBO for awhile....

20. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Well the official time of death as been announced. Guess I will save another extra $11 a month now. The only other decent thing on HBO is Six Feet Under and to be honest with you the last season was so bad it makes me not care so much about its final season.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I am extremely disappointed. The show was so fascinating and masterfully done. I was really looking forward to another season.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Drat! I guess now we'll never know what Sofie did to Brother Justin...

I'm with you on the $$ saving, however I thought the last season of SFU did much to revive my interest after a lackluster third season. At any rate once SFU is over I no longer have a need for HBO.

23. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful