will hdmi cable work with original iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by schnacke, Mar 4, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Has there been any indication either way if the hdmi cable connector will work with the original iPad? I can't find it on apples website, but honestly only searched for a few minutes. Thanks

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 6502

i'm wondering the same thing myself...
    i'd assume the 9x better graphics will be the reason it can output so well to your tv, and they'll claim the original wouldn't be capable, whether it is or not.
    i'm just guessing though; i'm sticking with my ipad 1 so i'd love this to be compatible with it aswell.

4. macrumors 6502

how do you know? :)

5. macrumors 6502a

Kadin

6. macrumors 603

He probably read the information on Apple's website.

OP: it's in the ipad accessories section of store.apple.com, you'd think they'd give more info in the iPad section but you have to go specifically to the ipad accessories in the store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A

7. macrumors 6502

8. Guest

it won't do the mirroring, but will output videos and any apps that allow it.

but the "what you see on your ipad is what you see on your tv " isn't supported on ipad 1

9. macrumors 68030

They could have also encased it in platinum and platypus pelts. It's a safe bet that battery life could not have been maintained juicing a higher-res screen. There's also the cost thing. If a couple million prospective buyers would prepay for a $1,499 iPad, I'm confident that Apple could up the specs for you. In the meantime the rest of us will wait for the tech to reach an acceptable price point.

10. macrumors 6502a

I'm intrigued to know how this cable works. I doubt HDMI is something that can be easily added unless some support for it was put into the hardware in the first place. Maybe using the A4 in the AppleTV2 drove them to add the support in?

11. macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Again, misinformed people saying stuff that isnt true.

1. Hdmi will work on both ipads.
    2. NO, apps will not work on ipad 1, you cant mirror them, mirroring just works on ipad 2.
    3. I dunno why people are saying you can demo apps, presentations etc on the ipad 1. Beacause you cant.

Only thing you can do with hdmi on ipad 1, is to show video.

12. macrumors newbie

so you can't even display pictures like you can with the vga cable ?

are there any videos of the ipad 1 with the hdmi cable ?

13. macrumors 603

All I know is what Apple says on the store page for the Digital AV Adapter:

That would seem to suggest you can do slideshows.

14. macrumors 6502a

drenline

Jailbreak + displayout from cydia if you're looking to mirror everything, including apps(with the apple VGA adapter)