will i be able to hook a 360 to my 20" intel imac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by cornerdealy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. cornerdealy macrumors regular

is it at all possible to use my iMac as the screen for an xbox 360? If so, what are the things i would need to make it possible?

Thanks.

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Basically, no.

The iMac doesn't have any sort of ports that allow video input. You could theoretically use a firewire bridge to convert the signal to DV, but there would be noticeable lag... In other words, it would work fine as a DVR for example, but only piss you off for gaming...

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Ok, I stand corrected.

It is possible but it still doesn't sound like something I'd want to do...
    If the highest quality you're going to get is S-Video, you're pretty much going to have to play in a window rather than full-screen.
    If you're looking to replace your TV, I'd probably just stick with it, but if you're without a TV at the moment, I guess it might be worth a shot...

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yes! But not well in high definition.

The EyeTV 250 or EyeTV EZ (the latter is cheaper, the former has DVR capabilities like rewind and pause during real-time viewing if you use it for TV) allows you to hook anything you would hook into your TV, into your iMac. It uses hardware encoding (so there is the possibility of lag), except it has a Game Mode that turns the hardware encoding off and runs with zero latency, which is perfect.

However, it's analog. Meaning you won't be able to go above standard definition TV resolution- 640x480. So this is a perfect solution for current gen consoles that don't support HD in most games (since it doesn't do HD), or if you don't already have an HDTV...

The EyeTV 500 is the digital-only version, and does HD. It does not, however, have a game mode, so it is possible there may be lag if you use it.

I'm planning to get an EyeTV 250 when I purchase my iMac in August, for use with my GameCube and PS2 and future Wii.

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Just curious, won't the widescreen Wii output more that 640 pixels horizontally?

7. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I'm guessing the Wii will have a 4x3 mode for regular TVs.

Also, have you considered perhaps getting either a Mac Mini or the (future) Mac Pro, and then hooking it up to a Dell 20 inch widescreen monitor? You could use the inputs on the Dell (DVI, VGA, S-Video, RCA) to plug your 360 into it directly. You could probably even get HD if you converted the component output to VGA...

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you set it to widescreen, it should. IIRC, 852×480.

Elgato's website actually lists the max resolution at 720x640.

So yeah, the EyeTV EZ and 250 don't do widescreen, I guess.

The Wii will of course have a 4x3 mode for regular TVs, just like current gen consoles that support widescreen. At E3 I was playing virtual console games on regular 4x3 TVs.

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks for the input

10. cornerdealy thread starter macrumors regular

ok guys, thanks alot. I have a hdtv that would be fine with the 360, really i just wanted to see if I could keep everything in one room (computer, videogames, etc).

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I wouldn't recommend it! When I first purchased my iMac I did a LOT of research in this subject and the EyeTV 250 is definitely not the one you want for gaming.

The EyeTV EZ is the only one Elgato (and testers) suggest for any kind of gaming.

There are a couple other options out there but none seem to work as well, or else they have been dropped by the company and/or don't support OS X (OS9/Windows only).

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why? The 250 now has a Game Mode just like the EZ, and also supports capturing from VCRs and has more features...

I want to transfer all my old tapes to DVD, and record gameplay videos for NintendoPlayers.

http://elgato.com/matrix/index.php

13. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

I'd just like to bump this thread.
    GFLPraxis, have you bought the EyeTV 250 yet?

I really need to get a new tv ready for the Wii, my tube tv takes up way too much space in my room (student life sucks : ]).
    I was thinking of getting a small 20"-23" HDTV that can support widescreen 480p for the Wii, but if I can do it with the EyeTV, then obviously I'll save a lot of money and space, using just my 20" widescreen iMac.

Peace.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have not yet, although I am thinking of buying the just-released EyeTV Hybrid instead of EyeTV 250- the Hybrid doesn't have hardware encoding anyway, so it's like it's always in game mode (no latency).

The reason I've yet to buy it is that I'm going to get it alongside my new iMac purchase. And I'm going to buy my iMac as soon as it gets Core 2 Duo :)

15. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hehe ok.
    I also saw the EyeTV Hybrid. It's a little more expensive but it's tiny! And I will only be using it for playing games.

Although it says that the Hybrid only supports analogue input, (Composite (what I use for my Gamecube) and S-video).
    I'm not sure what Wii will have, but will it have something higher than S-video?
    If not then that doesn't matter.

The other thing that bothered me was that the Hybrid doesn't support PAL 60Hz, which is important to me. Playing with 60Hz is a huge improvement over 50Hz.
    Now, the thing that confuses me about this Hz business is that I don't know if 60Hz is the equivalent of US progressive scan? I really have no idea about this stuff. I should probably make a new thread or something...
    If I used S-video on my Gamecube and Wii with 50Hz, would it be better or worse than using my normal tv with composite and 60Hz?

Basically I want to make sure I can get the best possible picture from my (UK) Wii.

The FAQ page doesn't load right now so I can't check if the EyeTV 250 supports 60Hz.

Peace

16. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Just to let you know, and I hate to burst your bubble(s), but I bought an EyeTV 250 to replace my TV for college, and it works GREAT for TV/DVR, but there is lag, even in game mode. I played (or tried to) Mario Kart: DD, and it had enough lag that it felt like I was pulling the cart along behind me, on a string, you know, the kind of physics like pulling a wagon or something-- it doesn't turn WITH you, it turns AFTER you.

If anyone has any solutions, I'm open.
    Luckily, my roomie is a Nintendo gamer as well, and is bringing his projector for us to use for movies/games (bulbs are too expensive to use for everyday TV viewing).

17. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Ok I did a little reading and I take it S-video (and Composite) doesn't support 480p, only 480i.

This was the problem with the UK Gamecube's right? There was no way to take advantage of 480p.
    Will the same thing happen with the UK Wii? I really hope not, I've heard that 480p is a huge improvement over i.

I think I'm gonna hold out until I know exactly what outputs the UK Wii will have.

Peace

18. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hmm, thanks for that Seenew.
    I wonder why there's a lag. I'm guessing you mean there's more than a few mm's of lag.
    What Mac do you have. And were you using USB 2.0?

Peace

19. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

It's probably like 2 milliseconds of lag. Doesn't seem like much, but it is.
    I'm using a topped out Intel iMac, 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 256MB VRAM, and yes, I use USB2 with the EyeTV.

I wish there was some kind of way to use it for games. :(

20. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Well wait a minute, most HDTV's have 6-12mm's of "latencey" which is lag, right?
    How can playing games on them be ok, if you're noticing 2 mm's of lag?

21. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Oh also, what cable were you using?
    And did you have anything else running?
    (Sorry, just trying to find out as much as possible, I really want to buy this, but don't want lag : [ )

22. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

You know, it should be techically possible to disconnect the internal DVI connection between the mobo and the screen. Then, if you have a spare DVI cable ready and you know the pinouts, you can attach a connector to the cable and hook up the xbox. Of course, that probably means that your mac won't be doing anything anymore.