Will I be able to install Leopard upgrade on 2 Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boxlight, Oct 15, 2006.

1. boxlight macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a 20" intel iMac, came with Tiger.

I'm thinking about buying a MacBook, also would have Tiger.

When Leopard comes out, if I decided to upgrade, do you think I will be able to and upgrade both Macs for the $150 (or so) upgrade? Or will it only work on one of the Macs?

I know we won't know the Leopard licensing until it comes out, but what did the licensing for the Tiger upgrade say about such things?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

boxlight

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Leopard will most likely cost US$129 for a single license or US$199 for a "Family Pack" which allows installation on up to 5 Macs.

3. cschreppel macrumors regular

Is it possible, though, to install a single user on more than one Mac? I've never seemed to have a problem with it. I used my Tiger disks that came with my MacBook to upgrade my old TiBook.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It violates the terms of the license though...

5. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

For at least the past 3 releases of Mac OS X Apple has always been consistent with the pricing of one license to an operating system. $129 per computer. Click here to see Apple's pricing for Tiger.

Now if you aren't using your computers for profit or business use and they don't leave your house you can buy what is called a family license upgrade. This costs $199 and it is good to use on up to 5 computers. Yes it basically 5 non-profit / non-business licenses. To see what Apple says about a family license click here (same web page as before).

Hope this helps. ;)

6. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Yeah, it isn't legal it is like buying $129 worth of groceries one week and then shoplifting $129 worth of groceries the next week -- in a word it is STEALING.

7. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Heh, a friend of mine whose father is a webmaster at a primary school admitted to me that they installed a single-license copy of Tiger on 30 macs... At a School!

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'd say you should just get the Family Pack, it even lets students living away from home use it:

"Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users."

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And what a shining example that makes for the kiddies...

10. bartelby macrumors Core

I went to a University that had one copy of Photoshop 3 installed on about 45 Centris and Quadras. You had to unplug from the network in order to start it up, then sleep the computer and plug back in.

They eventually got found out and bought a proper license.

11. Caezar macrumors 6502

I have a Powerbook running on Panther and an iMac running on Tiger. These two OSes came with the machines (i.e. I did not buy the DVDs separately).

When I purchase a copy of Leopard next year for my iMac, will I have the right to transfer my Tiger license to the Powerbook, or is my Tiger license (that came with the iMac) attached to the desktop?

12. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't see why that would be a problem, but I don't know if the Tuger restore discs for your iMac will work in your Powerbook.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that this would be legal, but the disk that came with your iMac may notwork on the powerbook.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

According to the EULA, OSX is a single user read single machine install for $129. You can get a Family Pack for $199 that will allow you to install it on up to five machines. At least this was the pricing for Jaguar, Panther & Tiger, so I would expect it to be the same.

In the past you could actually install the $129 variety on more than one Mac, however you were in violation of the EULA and technically breaking the law. I don't know if Apple will build greater activation security measures into Leopard so that it is restricted by serial #'s and authentication codes or not.

15. Angrist macrumors 6502

EULA issues aside (Family pack for my collection :) ) ....

What I'm wondering about is the Intel / PPC split. Will I be able to purchase one family pack that'll install on my current PPC hardware and my soon to be purchased Intel hardware?

Anyone hear anything about this yet?

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't know if anything has been said definitively, but I think the assumption is that one disc will work for both types of systems.