Will I be happy with an iPod mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemonkey, Nov 3, 2004.

1. bluemonkey macrumors regular

I really can't afford an iPod, but it's possible that I could pull off an iPod mini for Christmas. I'm not a huge, huge music person so the HD size isn't too vexing. My question, for those of you who have minis, is will I be happy with it? I've never really used an iPod of any kind. Are they really as cool as they look? Are they as intutive as they look? What are the drawbacks to having the mini as opposed to the full on iPod?

Thanks,
    Jason

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

As someone who just received her Mini last night: yes, you'll be happy!

The only drawback I can think of is HD size, but since you mentioned you have a small music collection anyway, you should be fine. It really is that intuitive to use ... since the buttons and wheel are integrated as one, it seems like it's going to be easy to use without even looking at it.

The Mini is really small and light. My Microsoft Mouse is actually taller than the Mini is.

If you at all can, try to get to a retailer so you can see and use the Mini in person. Even if you order without seeing it first, though, I think you'll be very pleased.

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

you will be amazed...they are awesome.... i love my ipod mini...hold loads of music... more than you need to take with you... its fantastic...

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

More than you need to take with you? Me and my 40gb iPod would like to dispute that claim! :D

Hehe just kidding actualy. I believe it was iPodlounge.com that recommened the mini to most ppl as most CD collections are close to 100 disk which is roughly what the mini can hold.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

If it fits your wallet and your music collection, then you'll be happy. More and more accessories will work with the Mini, so you should be all set.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I owned a 3G 20Gb iPod with all of my music on it, but treated myself to a mini for mainly gym use. Since I bought it (about 6 weeks now) I haven't used my "big" iPod once! So easy to put the music on it I want (only use three playlists in itunes: "Mini" - new music and my favourite tracks, "Top 25 most played" and "most recently played") i.e. the music that I really would want to have with me, rather than having music I may want to listen to on the off chance. Out of the 3500 tracks on the big iPod I'd say I'd only just over a third as "essential" tracks - just about what I can fit on the mini. Its actually worked out so well, and I got so use to the size of the mini, that I've just sold my 20gigger and have no regrets!

Mind you, if a 20GB iPod the size of a mini came along, I'd jump at it!

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The iPod mini's are awesome. And they do not scratch up like regular iPods. I have both and I love both of them. If you do not need tons of room for music, you will definitely be happy with a mini.

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I've sorta semi-permanently lent my mini to my neighbor. While I loved the look and size of it and was very happy with the click wheel, I actually did find myself wishing that I could fit more music on it. I have a tendency to conglomerate boatloads of music into a few very large playlists, and put the iPod on "shuffle", so the amount of music does become an issue.