Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I currently have a single MacBook Pro with OS X Yosemite with FileVault enabled meaning that it's set up as core storage. If I were to create a secondary partition to install the public beta of OS X El Capitan on this machine what would happen to the recovery partition for Yosemite? And would the beta remake the core storage set up with it has its primary partition? How would it possibly affect the FileVault–enabled Yosemite partition? Thanks for all your help guys.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
You will be able to dual boot, no problem. But, I would urge caution. I recently did the same thing, except with Mavericks as my main working partition. After two weeks of running the El Cap. beta my Mavericks partition was corrupted (people reported similar things happening during the Yosemite beta).

I am using FileVault and I had a heck of a time trying to remove the El Cap. partition. Things ended up getting rather messy. I was VERY securely backed up, so I was not too worried. But, if I ever do this again it would be on a separate drive altogether.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks a lot for saving my bacon then. Sorry about all the hassle you went through though :(

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
It will create a separate logical volume group containing the 10.11 partition and it's recovery partition, your existing logical volume group will be unaffected and exist alongside the new one.

I'm dual booting this way and everything works fine. If you want to remove the El Capitan group, you just restore the disk to a 'single' partition and everything will be put back the way it was.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
It will create a separate logical volume group containing the 10.11 partition and it's recovery partition, your existing logical volume group will be unaffected and exist alongside the new one.

I'm dual booting this way and everything works fine. If you want to remove the El Capitan group, you just restore the disk to a 'single' partition and everything will be put back the way it was.

How do I restore it back to a single volume if each operating system created a logical volume group partition? Disk utility is a PITA when the drive is setup that way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.