Will I see any speed increase upgrading to a time capsule?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thetruth1985, Oct 10, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2010
    Right now, I have 2 of the new apple tvs connected via wireless n to a older apple extreme. The apple extreme has fast Ethernet and not gigabit Ethernet. On craigslist, I have been talking to a guy and he has agreed to sell me a 2tb time capsule for 250. If I buy the time capsule, I would be putting my older extreme on eBay but what I wanted to know was if I would notice any speed increase since the time capsule has gigabit Ethernet. From what I have seen online, it should be faster for wired devices but it is not clear if this carries over for wireless devices too. My imac has gigabit Ethernet so I wont have any issues there. Thanks to anyone who can help.
  2. Moderator emeritus

Dec 10, 2008
    Gigabit Ethernet will only help if you connect them via Ethernet, not wireless. However, 100Mb/s Ethernet is about as fast as wireless N so I doubt you would see any difference, unless you connect all devices with Ethernet. However, the TC supports dual-band operation (2.4GHz + 5GHz) so that may speed things up a little
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2010
    be careful buying a used time capsule. a lot of people have issues with their TC dying after awhile.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that since the imac would be connected to the router at gigabit speeds, it would be able to serve media faster to the wireless Atvs. I just ran a simple test and I was able to stream "Date Night" to 2 apple tvs connected via wireless N without any stutter. This was cool since I got them to run at the same time! Now I just have to figure out if it's worth it to pay the $250 for the time capsule. It's seems like the only feature I will benefit from is the backup features.