Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
My best friend has a Pismo 400mhz with 640MB RAM. It's not the slowest computer I've used, but is a few hundred mhz below apples minimum requirements.

Has anyone tried using iChat's video capabilities with anthing this slow? It'll be done with apple's iSight.

Thanks!

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
sjjordan said:
My best friend has a Pismo 400mhz with 640MB RAM. It's not the slowest computer I've used, but is a few hundred mhz below apples minimum requirements.

Has anyone tried using iChat's video capabilities with anthing this slow? It'll be done with apple's iSight.

Thanks!

Apple says that you need at least 600 mhz for iChat video to work. I tried it with my iMac G3 400 mhz and a little window announced that my hardware wasn't sufficient for iChat video to work. I didn't try it with an iSight though, just my miniDV cam but I'm sure you'll get the same message.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
While I'm sure it WOULD run sufficiently well, Apple tends to be quite nitpicky about minimum requirements. As such, it will prevent you from running it, unless you can find a hack.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
TLRedhawke said:
While I'm sure it WOULD run sufficiently well, Apple tends to be quite nitpicky about minimum requirements. As such, it will prevent you from running it, unless you can find a hack.

They didnt seem to be too nitpicky about GarageBand. It runs like crap on my 800MHz G3, I dont even know how it could possibly be useable on a 600MHz G3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.